Sub Hilt fund raiser project

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
Our son Michael and I are making a knife to sell as a fund raiser project.

We go to a non-denominational family oriented church here in Walla Walla that does something special every year at Christmas time. The last 2 years for Christmas our church family gave away a total of over 200 bicycles to children that didnt have a bike and gave gifts of toys, non perishable food and a wonderful meal to their families. Its hard to describe the feeling we shared when those kids saw their bikes.

This year we found a need in another part of the world, Jamaica. There is an orphange there that has a real need for playground epuipment. With 63 children waiting to play on 2 swingsets you can imagine there is nothing to do except mischief. These kids need quality and approved equipment to play on.

This is the model we are making. Its a sub hilt fighter aka "Big Bear" and will be as close to this one as possible but with handle bolts and the mark will be the "Bump" logos instead of the Lovesless name, I knew you were going to say something about that. A true Loveless will run you into the many thousands of dollars if you could even find one for sale.

staglovelesssubhilt.jpg

Steel: CPM 154
Hilts: 416 stainless steel w/pins
Handle: Amber Dyed Stag Scales w/red liners
Blade Length: 8.5"
Blade thickness .190"
OAL: 13.75"
Heat Treating: Paul Bos
Sheath: Paul Long
Construction: stock removal, full tapered tang
Engraving: Ken Hurst

To make this one correctly we are using the DVD by S.R. Johnson entitled "MAKING A SUB-HILT FIGHTER". Steve is a legend in his own time. Thanks go out to our local Church for the $200 cash faith money to begin this project, Jim Cooper for the photos, Steve Johnson for the tracing of the actual knife pattern from his DVD, the handle bolts and his consultation, Craigb for donating the 416 stainless steel for the guards, Art Swyhart for loaning his copy of the DVD, Master Engraver Ken Hurst for the engraving on the hilts and bolts, Paul Long for making a custom sheath and all of you fine people for viewing and purchasing the raffle tickets that will ultimately make this worthy cause all possible.

Every penny of the sale will go to purchasing playground equipment. God is so good and Mike and I are proud to make this knife to help out. Thanks go to all of you guys that purchase a ticket.

To purchase tickets please use paypal or send a check. That would be the best way to keep contact information records. I will email you a claim number(s) to save postage. The drawing needs to be the first week of November. That doesnt give us all much time so we are working hard on it so there should be no delay in delivery.

Tickets are only $5 each or 5 tickets for $20

Send check or money orders to:
Bruce Bump
1103 Rex Lane
Walla Walla WA. 99362

I have been notified that I can no longer accept Paypal for raffle tickets. Please send a check to the above address and let me know that you have by email or personal message. Darn that was too good to be true I guess.

email questions:
bruceandkaye@charter.net

articletop.jpg

Blossom Gardens Orphange, Jamaica
Please click here for some interesting Jamaica visits. This is where the money is going:
http://www.embracingorphans.org/

Carl Robanske of Embracing Orphans:
I am very excited to announce that Embracing Orphans will bring two playground structures to the children at Blossom Gardens for Christmas. The Christian Life Center, a church in Walla Walla, has taken on the majority of the fundraising for this project. CLC will also be sending out volunteers to help with the build and volunteer as childcare workers. These two commercial playground structures are being purchased through Kids Around the World.

The new one
image002-1.jpg

Last edited:
that is a good video. I've watched it 3 or 4 times.
looking forward to seeing this one Bruce.

Some of you guys might not know that Michael has been working part time here on knives for a couple years now and saved every penny for an adoption in process from Jamaica. Him and Kristi are adopting a 4 year old boy, and are almost ready to go there to pick him up and bring him to his new home here in Walla Walla.

Kaye and I adopted a baby girl from an orphanage in Jamica over 17 years ago. What a blessing she has been to us. At only 22 months old when we brought her here she has blossemed and taken part in the community. An honor student, She is in her second year of college now.

Last edited:
Okay Mr. Bruce, sounds great Except --- how is that short time frame going to allow me to engrave it ? I'll be happy to throw in a bit-o-scratching to help raise the value & hopefully the amount of money raised. Let me know if this is agreeable to you.

Last edited:
Okay Mr. Bruce, sounds great Except --- how is that short time frame going to allow me to engrave it ? I'll be happy to throw in a bit-o-svratching to help raise the value & hopefully the amount of money raised. Let me know if this is agreeable to you.

Ken, that is an outstanding thing to do for us! I'm sure the value will be higher and could easily fetch a better price. This model looks very nice with just some work on the flats of the double guard and the sub hilt. The rivets could use a little magic too.
Thanks so much Ken.
We may need to put in a late night or two to make time for you. :running dog:

Last edited:
Great --- I'll start trying to find some extra hours each day so I'll have saved enough time for the knife by time it gets here without shorting other inline projects on hand. I look forward to doing this with you, you're a big hearted and generous man. May God bless you and your efforts.

Great --- I'll start trying to find some extra hours each day so I'll have saved enough time for the knife by time it gets here without shorting other inline projects on hand. I look forward to doing this with you, you're a big hearted and generous man. May God bless you and your efforts.

Thats a wonderful compliment Ken. I think we'll both have a new wing on our mansion in heaven after this one. :D

Bruce, Mike, & Ken, This sounds like an outstanding project! Can't wait to watch and see how it comes out. Bruce your work rules, & Ken your engraving is magnificent!

Bruce, Mike, & Ken, This sounds like an outstanding project! Can't wait to watch and see how it comes out. Bruce your work rules, & Ken your engraving is magnificent!

Thanks a million Shane. Do you think I should put some WIP images up? I could. The first ones would be Me and Mike watching the DVD. :)

I would love to see the WIP, then to add Kens scratchings on this bouncewow1

this is going to be a beautiful knife for a great cause rockon

Same here, I'm on board for this one. Bruce, Mike and Ken, this is a fantastic effort. Thanks guys.

I vote for the WIP too! :D

I appreciate your response's so far guys. I'm still trying to figure out how to sell it. Any ideas are considered. What do you think about ebay? It may broaden my audience for sure with the proper key words in the search.

I think ebay reaches many people, if you have not sold much on ebay or maybe I should say well know, it might not bring the price your looking for.

I have know people place items for sale there only to have the high bidder not pay, so you have to pays the fees again if you want to post your item again. one thing I would also worry about if you take credit cards is a charge back.

I think the knife community on the forums are a safer bet, that is just my opinion. I am sure Stabber or others that do more internet sales have a better feel for this.

I am waiting for the WIP thread to begin BIG TIME. Going to be a beautiful SH!!

I would say raffle this baby off, you would raise the money quickly, we all like to give a little back!

Cant wait to check her out brother.

I think a raffle is a good idea too. If you subscribe to Blade maybe they'd support it in their email list to get views to a wider audience? That would be the only downside to a raffle, getting enough exposure to make the return you need for those kids. But it just needs good exposure to win big, I expect.

Bruce,

You need to e-mail Steve Shackelford and let him know what you are doing...

Blade is always supportive when it come to this sort of thing..

All good advice so far. Mike and I sat down and decided to raffle it. A lottery will only allow people in the hat that can truly afford it. A raffle will let anybody and everybody purchace a ticket and somebody will win it. We have local church friends and family that want an equal chance to win too and a lottery would leave most everybody out.

So a raffle it is! I think the tickets should be low priced at only $5 each or 5 tickets for $20. We can start very soon selling tickets. I think you can paypal or send a check or money order. More details to come.

Back