Smaller chainring bolts

? not sure what you mean? the screw on screw action (no pun intended:) or what I was talking about with an all titanium knife? I have used titanium chainring bolts and not had any trouble with them galling?

these are meant to be multi purpose, ie pivot, handle connector, fastener.
If there is enough demand, i'll look at a Ti version but there are no plans for any now.

Ti is not a bearing material nor is is a good fastener material

for a proper fastener to be made it needs to be hot forged then thread rolled even then it is a non grade-able fastener with a low sear strength of threads

Ti is not a bearing material nor is is a good fastener material

for a proper fastener to be made it needs to be hot forged then thread rolled even then it is a non grade-able fastener with a low sear strength of threads

Not to be argumentative, but in the case of a all titanium folder and handle screws I don’t think that that would have very much bearing on the situation? I could be wrong but I don’t see a need for more than maybe 4-8lbs of torque on those and I don’t foresee 100’s of lbs of shear or tension stress being placed on either.

I have personally used titanium chainring bolts for crank sets on a few bike and never had one fail on me, either a downhill bike or a BMX that had seen allot of crank grinds on a .5” sprocket.

Am I missing the point? I am a bit dense some times:) lol

Jake, I will speak for USA Knifemaker's Supply since Tracy is out of town. Whether or not titanium is good for a pivot or fastener really doesn't matter on this thread. They are too expensive to make in large quantities "to get best price" for this small of a market. Yeah, they would be cool and all that but in reality not cost effective. Most makers that use titanium for these items are making it themselves or spending $$$ to have them made custom for them. Thought about it myself. Have you got some of these bolts that Tracy had made for you yet? I'd like to see some pics of them installed and what everyone will use them for.

Sorry guys, I wasnt looking to irritate any one. just trying to see other sides instead of just mine:) Def understand the cost effective side of things:)

On a side note if you guys want titanium sheet for cheap, try your local scrap yard. I picked up a 4'x4' .065 6-4 sheet for 40 bucks the other day, had one letter "T" cut out of it about 3" tall. I pretty much traded it for some old bad dive tanks I had, just had to cut them up, I ended up with an extra $40 on top of the titanium.

Not irritated, just want to see these new bolts installed in something. Have you used them yet? Post pics.

Not irritated, just want to see these new bolts installed in something. Have you used them yet? Post pics.

Havent had a chance yet, been packing up my shop as of late, getting ready to move to TX next month. I may be able to pick up a handfull next week and maybe get one more knife done before we go:) here's hoping.

Back