Servicemember Knife Build "Recruiting Drive"

I'm going to be making a good,SOLID leather sheath set up for MOLLE attachment,
and the leather will be wet-formed to the knife.
I've never done kydex before and don't have the tools for it (grommet setter,etc),
but leather is quieter,and can be just as,if not more durable (imo).
For anyone else doing leather sheaths,if you don't do wet-forming,but want to,
here ya go
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php...ther-press&highlight=poor+man's+leather+press

I will be making a Kydex/Molle rig for mine, not sure exactly when I will have mine ground, have not been able to get much shop time recently but should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks.

Do we have any others who can make a Kydex sheath for their knife ?

Bill,
I'm all set up to do it, meaning I have everything needed but haven't tried it yet. Tracy's new tutorial confirmed what I already suspected....it's a cake walk. :drool: Tentatively put me down for my own sheath . By the time I get the blank back for finishing I'll be a pro at bending plastic or be covered in it. I won't let it kick my butt like leather does. :12:

(I'll keep you updated on my anticipated progress):s7435:

Rudy

I will be making a Kydex/Molle rig for mine, not sure exactly when I will have mine ground, have not been able to get much shop time recently but should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do brother!
If you can,will there be pics?

Do we have any others who can make a Kydex sheath for their knife ?

Bill,
I'm all set up to do it, meaning I have everything needed but haven't tried it yet. Tracy's new tutorial confirmed what I already suspected....it's a cake walk. :drool: Tentatively put me down for my own sheath . By the time I get the blank back for finishing I'll be a pro at bending plastic or be covered in it. I won't let it kick my butt like leather does. :12:

(I'll keep you updated on my anticipated progress):s7435:

Rudy

You got this!

:)

I agree with Bill.

Rudy, just grab a bunch of knives and start pressing sheaths for practice. The more you make, the better you get at it.

Got my blade yeaterday, looks great Dave! Design is cool. Grinding this weekend. Never used A2, is it like O1 for heat treat. Meaning can you pretty much get it to final grind and not have to worry about warping like 1095? I take O1 to just a hair away from final grind prior to heat treat. That makes the post heat treat final real easy!! :)

Got my blade yeaterday, looks great Dave! Design is cool. Grinding this weekend. Never used A2, is it like O1 for heat treat. Meaning can you pretty much get it to final grind and not have to worry about warping like 1095? I take O1 to just a hair away from final grind prior to heat treat. That makes the post heat treat final real easy!! :)

In my experience you can go very close with A2.

I agree with Bill.

Rudy, just grab a bunch of knives and start pressing sheaths for practice. The more you make, the better you get at it.

Murph,
First thing in the morning (no work finally) I'm having at it. I'm confident that I'll have an acceptable one by noontime. I've had this stuff lying around for months, may as well use it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bill.

Rudy

I've received several messages about a "deadline" to have these to Brad for HT. I need help from you guys in establishing a timeline. When can you guys have the blades ready to send for HT? Please be realistic as I do not want to burden Brad by dragging this out for weeks. Once you guys advise me as to how long you need, we will establish a deadline for having them shipped to Brad. We want to get all of these done at one time so that Brad isn't having to juggle his schedule around us.

Also, I need to know that everyone has received thier package, so please chime in and let us know. So far, G. Shahan is the only person who has reported having an problem and a new blank has been shipped out to him.

Bill, Murph, Justin,
I will make a Kydex sheath. They didn't have MOLLE locks back in my day so I'll order some if someone will tell me how to attach/configure them or if I need to make any modifications to the sheath.

Denny, it's pretty easy to attach the Molle Loks. All you have to do is match the eyelet holes in the sheath with the spacing of the mounting holes in the Molle Loks. If you order the Molle Loks from Tracy, all of the mounting hardware comes with them. If you are using a double Molle Lok configuration on the sheath, the spacing on Molle strapping is one inch (ie. every inch there is a stitched seam) and need to be parallel to one another.

O K , I got my blades yesterday[I think] my days are running together
all blades are fine.
Now for the time, If I can have until Tue. night, I will be in good shape.
Deb came home and that takes more of my time than I expected.
If that is too long please let me know.
Thanks to all involved, I believe this is a real stand-up cause.
Jerry

LOL, ummmmmm ....... I was wondering if everyone needed a week, two weeks, or maybe even three, not four days Jerry. I think you'll be good brother.

Just so everyone knows, please feel free to start a WIP thread on these if you want. I'd love to see everyone's interpretation of the design.

I was beginning to feel left out but I got home last night and found a package from Bill T with a cool knife blank in it. With any luck at all, I will get it ground this weekend. I haven't ever worked with anything other than non stainless so thanks for the tips on A-2.

More to come...
Carey

Cake walk

Just like I intented,
I went into the shop with a mission this morning.....my first adventure with kydex. First I cobbled together my press which only took a few minutes. After eyeballing the kydex for a few minutes, I opted to try a 2 piece paddle looking affair. I put the heat gun to it till it got like well done spaghetti.....after that it was all downhill. No problems at all. The sheath grabs like a vise and releases smoothly. I guess there's no doubt that I'll supply my own sheath for the buildoff. Too bad kydex scratches the bejesus out of everything. I went in at 8 am and was out running around by 10 am. Behold my first kydex sheath !
Press11.10.jpg
PressB11.10.jpg
PressC11.10.jpg
Sheath11.10.jpg
SheathB11.10.jpg

Rudy

Back