Rusty 1084 WIP-ish?

I knocked the rust off and cleaned the profile up to finished dimensions.

0831181652~2.jpg

Next, I hand sanded the edge, and spine to 220 grit lengthwise.

0831181646~2.jpg

Note the sanding block sitting on the spine. It has a couple different arcs on it to sand curved surfaces. I use it for the finger wells and the clip.

It may look straight in the pic, but the clip has a slight subtle curve to it. This is a design element that I usually incorporate on clipped blades. I think it gives the blade a lean and aggressive look. I believe almost everyone's eye can notice that detail in the finished knife, even if they can't put their finger on what they're seeing.

Hahaha....fortunately for you the fishing IS terrible right now. But I'm going to Montana soon and I have to work on a couple other things too so you guys might still have some waits here and there. :D
Don't John Doyle us now and take 10 years to do this WIP! No fishing, blowing up pumpkins and potatoes with fire works, or what ever shenanigans you are always up to. We want real time tips from you.

I knocked the rust off and cleaned the profile up to finished dimensions.

View attachment 64777

Next, I hand sanded the edge, and spine to 220 grit lengthwise.

View attachment 64778

Note the sanding block sitting on the spine. It has a couple different arcs on it to sand curved surfaces. I use it for the finger wells and the clip.

It may look straight in the pic, but the clip has a slight subtle curve to it. This is a design element that I usually incorporate on clipped blades. I think it gives the blade a lean and aggressive look. I believe almost everyone's eye can notice that detail in the finished knife, even if they can't put their finger on what they're seeing.

How about some more detailed of the sanding block!! What is it made of?? Wrap some paper on it and then tell me what the various edges are used for. You can't sit on an important piece of technology like this John!!! Seriously I would like to learn more. Sometimes it is these little tricks that can mean a lot!

Hi John, I'm still learning blade design and I hope you don't mind me saying that's a really good idea. I'm not a major hunter, but for gutting, it looks like it would ride comfortably on my fingers, allow more upward pressure, and still not want to poke the stomach. It actually looks like a user would gain more control when gutting an animal than conventional clip or drop point.

How about some more detailed of the sanding block!! What is it made of?? Wrap some paper on it and then tell me what the various edges are used for. You can't sit on an important piece of technology like this John!!! Seriously I would like to learn more. Sometimes it is these little tricks that can mean a lot!

Yeah, what C Craft said please. I have never radiused or altered the spine on any knife I have made until I came here so I do not even know what else I do not know.

I believe almost everyone's eye can notice that detail in the finished knife, even if they can't put their finger on what they're seeing.
I think that's true of almost any aspect of knife/sheath making! Even if an eye is "untrained" it notices things...just not as specifically as someone making them...

On a serious note....I try to keep my shop time to M-F. I try not to work evenings and weekends if I don't have to. So that's why there's fewer posts and more goofing off on weekends. I don't mind answering questions and keeping up with the forums on evenings and weekends though.

Back