Rice 2020 WIP

Aw, quit yur winin ' and put on new sandpaper.
Don't forget to change direction when you change grits. Makes it easier to see scratches.
I am cheap - soooo cheap I've thought about tryin' to make my own sand paper... :cool:

Change direction? So sand across the old grit? Or tip to butt then butt to tip? 90* or 180*?

across the previous grit. keep changing on each grit. I usually go both directions with each grit cause i HATE missing a scratch and have to go back several grits! Also, great lighting is a must. I use a swivel task light so that I can change the angle of incidence across the blade. This shows even the smallest imperfections. In the picture, you can see the vertical 400 grit sanding lines. you can also see the 400 grit lines that are underneath the vertical lines. This is what changing direction when sanding can do for your finished product.DSC01620.JPG

Last edited:
Ok - so finnnally got some MORE handle material from my all time favorite Santa clone - UPS

Between hand sanding & messing up knife handle scales over and over because I am stubborn & waiting on more material & work(who sold us out to work?) - one has to really wonder how freaking long it takes to make a knife... jeeze... Starvin' Knife Maker will be my moniker if I ever try to sell one (that made me laugh out loud - me, sell a knife..)

Sorry to have been MIA - it is budget season in corporate America - and Q4 - and a weird year - they are killin' me.... just sayin - too dang old to feel this young

I enjoyed this thread about your hand sanding, but gotta admit now i am totally distracted by the pork butt and that smoker.
Thanks Mark - a buddy was over last night and we put a knife I had ‘completed’ prior to joining this forum - and what I am able to do now - just wow - I have learned so much and have a long ways to go! As for the pork butt - here’s a sneak peak:

DCD16666-93ED-47F0-8EF7-834C6BF055A0.jpeg

That was the first time I had seen it since putting it on about 18 hours prior. It is currently wrapped in a couple of towels in an ice chest (no ice) just letting all the collagen(?) convert (some of the BBQ guys sound like our own Mr Cashen when they start getting technical 'bout it) where it will sit and rest for about 4 hours before I attack it with my claws that I use to pull it apart. Then it will be devoured by some college football players... That and everything else in the house...

Ribs going on this afternoon - take about 6 hours... baby backs...

Back