KITH 2019 WIP

Yes - full tang. first, I made a dummy guard out of tin so that I could get the overall dimensions. Then, I trued up the blade edges and sides as best I could using files and my fingertips. after that was satisfactory, I measured the guard area of the blade, marked it off on the brass blank, drilled a starter hole, inserted my jewelers saw blade and cut the basic rectangle. after that, it's just file a little,check fit. kinda have to sneak up on the fit, Not really hard but really time consuming...especially when ya gotta do it over several hundred times and go through about 4 dozen (not an exaggeration) saw blades cutting that .090 thick brass.

Ok. Help out a noob here. Does that guard slide on from the top or bottom?? And how is it attached? And nice design by the way!!!

Ok. Help out a noob here. Does that guard slide on from the top or bottom?? And how is it attached? And nice design by the way!!!
It will actually go from either direction. It's going to be attached with a brass pin through the tang and then epoxy. And thanks for the compliment.

You have more patience than I will ever have. I would have done a frame handle and been done with it. Congratulations for pulling it off...
Thanks Chris. This particular effort was (and still is) requiring alot of effort , but I believe part of the kith project is to give it your best shot. After all , some other knifemaker is gonna get this and I don't want to be embarrassed !

It will actually go from either direction. It's going to be attached with a brass pin through the tang and then epoxy. And thanks for the compliment.
Are the pins going in from the front, parallel to the blade and into the scales on either side? Seem like Dennis Moreland did something similar on his hidden tang bowie.

but I believe part of the kith project is to give it your best shot. After all , some other knifemaker is gonna get this and I don't want to be embarrassed !
You are correct sir. About being embarrassed...I do not think so... you made the whole project with FILES...You will have nothing to be ashamed about I know how hard that is and I never tried anything to the level of that knife with files only.

Are the pins going in from the front, parallel to the blade and into the scales on either side? Seem like Dennis Moreland did something similar on his hidden tang bowie.
I was just ponderin that very question, The brass is .090 and the pin hole would be .062. too tight of a tolerance for this ol boy ! your quote of Dennis's method sounds SOOOOO much easier and better. I believe that I will go that route. Thanks for the tip.

You are correct sir. About being embarrassed...I do not think so... you made the whole project with FILES...You will have nothing to be ashamed about I know how hard that is and I never tried anything to the level of that knife with files only.
Thanks CHRIS ....That's an awfully nice thing to say...but ya ain't seen the finished product, either! There are just sooo many ways to screw this up. and I seem intent on finding them all!

The only reason I asked how you got the guard was because I don't know if I every seen a Full guard on full tang knife before. Anyway that pretty cool how you did that.

Back