KITH 2019 WIP

KITH Take 2...
I restarted my Bowie because I made so many mistakes on #1 that by trying to correct the uncorrectable, it started to look like a very badly mangled pen-knife. I am pretty certain that Randy Lucius would not appreciate a knife that looked like it cake out of a 7/11 for a buck and a quarter!
So, here's the start of bowie #2... as always, comments are welcome as are critiques.DSC01361.JPG

KITH Take 2...
I restarted my Bowie because I made so many mistakes on #1 that by trying to correct the uncorrectable, it started to look like a very badly mangled pen-knife. I am pretty certain that Randy Lucius would not appreciate a knife that looked like it cake out of a 7/11 for a buck and a quarter!
So, here's the start of bowie #2... as always, comments are welcome as are critiques.View attachment 70025
You’re doing a fine job Bruce!! There’s no way I would be disappointed with a knife you made. Since my forge is rather small I’ll be attempting to make a “gents” bowie for you. This will be my first in that style and my first hidden tang. Not sure I can pull it off but if not I have a backup plan. :)

Thanks, Randy, I appreciate your vote of confidence. Grinder 2.0 is working very well, so maybe you'll get this puppy after all!
You’re doing a fine job Bruce!! There’s no way I would be disappointed with a knife you made. Since my forge is rather small I’ll be attempting to make a “gents” bowie for you. This will be my first in that style and my first hidden tang. Not sure I can pull it off but if not I have a backup plan. :)

Got both sides filing roughed out and equal. Now starts the hard part. Two more grades of files to go, then the arduous task of sanding this rather complex shape of blade. The bottom is beveled @ 6* and the top is beveled @10* .I also decided that this blade is going to be sharpened top and bottom, After all, it is a fighter...DSC01368.JPGDSC01369.JPG

I think its great to sharpen both sides some states do not allow double edged weapons though. Just a small piece of advice though, make sure the edge does not extend to the part of the spine that you would naturally put your thumb if you wanted to do so. I found that out the hard way.

Had to do some re-inventing on the blade shape. I also learned a new lesson which is - after heat treating, if you have a small bow at the tip of the blade......do NOT put the tip into a vise and try to bend it back to straight when it's cold. Said tip will make a rather sickening sound and stay in the vise while rest of blade stays very comfortably in ones hand. This is me sharing a "learning moment" (as Ed Caffery says) as I am rather certain that I'm the only one foolish enough to pull a stunt like this.DSC01380.JPG
I annealed the culprit, reshaped the blade profile and started filing. Again.
.DSC01382.JPGIf I'm not careful, Randy is going to end up with a very small neck knife!

Had to do some re-inventing on the blade shape. I also learned a new lesson which is - after heat treating, if you have a small bow at the tip of the blade......do NOT put the tip into a vise and try to bend it back to straight when it's cold. Said tip will make a rather sickening sound and stay in the vise while rest of blade stays very comfortably in ones hand. This is me sharing a "learning moment" (as Ed Caffery says) as I am rather certain that I'm the only one foolish enough to pull a stunt like this.View attachment 70252
I annealed the culprit, reshaped the blade profile and started filing. Again.
.View attachment 70253If I'm not careful, Randy is going to end up with a very small neck knife!
Nice fix. I was wondering if folks sometimes make areas a tad bigger or shape the knife in a way to have some wiggle room for surprises like that.

Back