Kentucky Knifemakers

Mike

A thought if I remember correctly, Kentucky has a craft show in Louisville, were craftsperson set up and sell/ take orders of their products, I think it might be to other business to sell at retail. You have to submit pictures/samples to be judged to be allow in. I used to get information on this and it wasen't something I thought I could do as a part time maker.

But as a organization, maybe it could be done using knives from several makers, were the buyers could choose from different styles knives to offer in their stores.

First, welcome Beenie. Glad this is catching on. Even if all you guys are way to my east. ;~)

Next, yep Ricky. There is a Kentucky Guild of Artist and Craftsman. I think I remember Mike saying he is a member and/or has been involved in that. And I think I remember getting contacted about the wholesale outlet thing a while back. I'll look back through some messages. Or maybe Mike knows.

Like you, I'm not at a place where I can produce enough volume to give wholesale discounts. The force of a guild association might give us the leverage we'd need to make that happen in some way. At least as a promotional tool.

We can't very well give a wholesale discount and then sale the same thing on our sites for less than the retailer. Might tick 'um off. LOL

So it would have to be something that we produce just for that purpose. But I like the idea and a guild might give us enough control over retail pricing to make it viable.

And lastly, Sean...how does LLC work with non-profit and the .org system? I thought that was strictly for-profit companies. And would the state and fed recognize and maybe help as a LLC instead of a strictly not for profit organization? I know there are some serious tax benefits for incorporated not for profits organizations. Wonder about LLCs?

Sorry if that's a dumb question guys. I just haven't ever looked into that. My only LLC research was orientated toward small business.

JD,

JD
Ill get all the info from our club treasurer, he is the one who did most of the leg work. As far as I know it works pretty much the same as any other LLC with some special provisions for the non profit. I can tell you that we had a pretty small tax liability this year.
As for for insurance, we are insured through the NRA, it is very reasonable. We are a NRA sanctioned club.
Let me get a little more info together and get back with you.

As for the website, we just purchased the domains, for .org, .com., .net.

Sean

Last edited:
There is a Kentucky Guild of Artists and Craftsmen http://www.kyguild.org/ . They do include knifemakers. You do have to be juried by submitting 5 unmarked items. They do this twice each year with the next jury deadline being January 20, 2010. They hold two craft fairs, a spring show in Bowling Green and a fall show in Berea. I plan to join if I can get the 5 knives ready to submit in time.

As I understand it, a LLC is primarily to limit the liability of the members. The LLC can be sued but individual members can't be sued for personal assetts for something the company did (in theory at least). My business is a LLC and it was relatively easy and inexpensive to set up but then it does bring all of the tax and reporting requirements from federal, state, and local levels.

First thanks JDB and Mike. I know I've not been making knives as long as most here have. But let me say again that I would love to help this out any way I can.

Second. i was talking with a fella I work with about this (he's a knifemaker as well) And he was telling me of a hammer in that happens here off of 119 neer Putney at one of the Black mountain recreational parks. i'm not sure what month he had said but come monday I'll try and get more info if none of you know anything about this?

Bennie

First thanks JDB and Mike. I know I've not been making knives as long as most here have. But let me say again that I would love to help this out any way I can.

Second. i was talking with a fella I work with about this (he's a knifemaker as well) And he was telling me of a hammer in that happens here off of 119 neer Putney at one of the Black mountain recreational parks. i'm not sure what month he had said but come monday I'll try and get more info if none of you know anything about this?

Bennie

I remember that last year, I didnt get to go. But I dont remember when it was. Sometime in the early summer I think.

The bad thing about that was that I drive by that park everyday to and from work and I never saw a sign one that it was happening.

UPDATE ON My Question. Just thought I would let you guys know just in case anyone was interested. The maker of the knife I posted a pic of is D.E. Brown of Nortonville, Ky. Thanks Guys, Now I'll Butt out of your thread.

Thanks for the update mooneyes. Hey, Nortonville! That's only about an hour east of me. Cool! I was beginning to think I was the only knife maker west of the whiskey belt. LOL

No problem my friend. You can call me poco or Mel. It's a LOT shorter!! LOL I'm not a knife maker.....yet, but sure am interested. I've been following this thread kinda' off and on.Real curious to see what develops and where y'all decide to meet, so maybe I can "Larn sumthin" LOL

Nope I am near Bowling Green.

Very cool Jim. You're only about 90 miles or so up 68 from me. Maybe we will have a serious western Kentucky representation in this thing. ;~)

Look forward to meeting you and the rest of the guys.

Back