Kentucky Knifemakers

Question for everybody: For an annual meeting of Kentucky Knifemakers, would you prefer:

a meet & greet hammer-in type of gathering with the focus on knifemaking

or

a public show with the focus on selling knives?

Mike
How long is the Hammer-in going to be? Could we do both? I would be glad to help.

We are still in the "what if" stages right now and trying to see if we have enough people interested to do anything. It does look like we have several interested.

I am thinking about a venue. The needs of a hammer-in for knifemakers is considerably different from a public show. Some places could handle both but in my experience location is very important for a show.

Both the NKCA and Kentucky Cutlery Association have held 150 table knife shows at the Paroquet Springs conference center in Shepherdsville, KY over the last several years. It's a really nice facility, right off Intersate 65, free parking and only 20 miles south of Louisville. We could never get a crowd there.

I personally think if we are going to have a show it should be in Louisville or Lexington purely from the standpoint of being convienent to the largest number of potential buyers.

If it's primarily a gathering of knifemakers we wouldn't have to accomodate nearly as many people nor worry about a room with a table for each maker. Location is more a matter of convenience for the majority of the knifemakers. Promotion and advertising would be much simpler and less expensive too.

I kind of like the idea of having a one day hammer-in and a one day show. I think that is probably too ambitious if we are trying to do something this Spring but who knows, let's see how many we think we can get.

Gentlemen I surely do not intend nor want to hijack your thread. However this seems like the best place to ask my question.I won this knife through a "Survival Jamboree" and know that the maker is from Kentucky. It is a custom one off with Petrified Mammoth tusk scales. It has no makers Mark or etching. any Information you may have would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me so as to not further disrupt this thread.(Although I will continue to watch this thread. I see one of you is even my "Neighbor"(next town over). Keep this going as I am interested as to what becomes of this,very interested.

The knife in question is the one on the left,next to a Cold Steel True flight Thrower for comparison.

JamboreeKnives.jpg

Question for everybody: For an annual meeting of Kentucky Knifemakers, would you prefer:

a meet & greet hammer-in type of gathering with the focus on knifemaking

or

a public show with the focus on selling knives?

Mike
Here are my thoughts.

Hammer in:
Pros: It would be a good draw for the public in general, in that it could be kind of a spectator event. Also it would be great learning oppurtunity for those of us who normally do stock removal, as well as a great meet and greet.
Cons: Strictly stock removal makers may not be as interested.

Show:
Pros: Not only would a show be a good oppurtunity for meet and greet but would also give makers a chance to pay for thier trip by proceeds from sales.
Cons: Would need a venue in an area with high population density, Lexington or Louisville as you mentioned, and the cost to rent such a place would be higher.

I suggest we do both. While it may be a bit ambitious for 2010, I think we could have a spring hammer in that moves around the state. The idea being we makers would be willing to travel a little more than the general public.
Then we have a fall show, somewhere in Fayette or Jefferson counties.

As for organization I think once we get a list of several makers we come up with a general concensus of a meeting location for this spring, even if it is just for an afternoon.

Again these are just my thoughts. Im pretty much open to about anything.
Just let me know what I can do to help.

Sean

I think stock removers would have a lot to show, tell and learn at a hammer-in too. Let's not forget to invite scrimshanders (a couple of really goods ones in KY; Gary "Garbo" Williams and Richard "HutcH" Hutchings) and engravers.

I think we could have a great one or two days with demonstrations, seminars and just general shop talk and show and tell. I think a State Park could lend itself well to something like that with a variety of lodging/camping and indoor/outdoor space. Of course we could also consider somebody's shop if one was offered and they could accomodate the group.

There are so many shows now that fitting another one into the schedule is always a problem, especially in the summer and fall. I do think a show featuring Kentucky knifemakers would have it's own appeal.

Then we have to think about whether we would want a show to be only KY knifemakers or open to anybody but promoted by the Kentucky Knifemakers.

I think a knife show would be good, but would take a couple of years to get together. But a hammer-in would be good to start getting interest and meet and greet, get ideals on getting organized.

Rick

Hey guys,

I think Mike is thinking pretty logically about this fellas.

I agree with everyone. A hammer in would be the quickest and least expensive thing to organize. A couple of guys are already doing those. And if it's open to the public, we might actually set up vendors tables and sell if we want to set it up that way. But it's unlikely enough walk ins would show up to move much without a lot of advertisement.

A show...even at a small venue is an expensive and complicated proposition for a bunch of rookies to pull off on short notice. Especially if WE are the ones that will have to foot the bill. Hence Mike's comment about just being a Kentucky maker's show. Outsiders could help offset the overhead so that we might actually make money if we manage to sell something in this economy. LOL

But as Mike suggest, an organizational meeting this spring might be a good first step whether it's accompanied by a hammer in or not. I know it kind of seems a waste of time and money to all just drive somewhere and say hey, but we have to make a first step before we can walk this thing forward.

And it will let us hash out and draft the details for how to proceed with things like hammer in rotations, Mikes Kentucky Knife Maker's web site, the potential of forming a Kentucky Guild, figuring out who has connections and skills to get the leg work for all this stuff done....a lot of things to be discussed. Besides just showing off our latest pig sticker. Cause I know your gonna bring um. ;~)

That's a long winded was of saying I'm thinking this might just work! ;~)

I do have a little experience in organizing shows. Yes, it is a complicated and usually expensive proposition.

I am on the board of directors for the Kentucky Cutlery Association and we held a show last year in Shepherdsville.
Copy%20of%20KCAShow0609%20014.jpg

We had a poor turnout from visitors but we did have about 125 tables@ $75 each. After expenses, (venue rental, advertising, security, concessions, clean up) the club did make a little money that will be used for promoting the next show.

I was also in charge of advertising and promotion for last year's Knifemakers Guild Show. We had good attendance in Louisville but it helps a lot when you have an advertising budget.

A small show might be a possibilty in the next year. Right now just with KY knifemakers I think we could probably do 30-40 tables if the timing was right.

But I agree that we need not get ahead of ourselves. I am going to make some calls and check on some places where we might get together to meet and maybe have something of a hammer-in.

I'm thinking maybe in April before the show circuit gets fired up. By May people are working on knives and planning for the Blade Show.

I'm getting excited about this. I have been thinking and talking about it for a couple of years and it finally seems like something might happen.

See.....That's what I mean. Skills! ;~)

Me too Mike. It can be done. It's just going to take a sincere commitment by everyone to make it happen. We are all going to have to pitch in and do what we can. And since we are just kicking around ideas, here are a couple thoughts.

All you have to do is look at states where it's makers have organized to see the potential benefits. Very few of them have more talent in their states and none of them have better talent than is in Kentucky. The trick is going to be to make sure we do our best to make this inclusive to Kentucky artisans of all skill levels and means. Not exclusive.

The more of Kentucky's talent of all skill levels and types we can get involved, the less work and expense it will be for everyone. And the more RETURN! Roscoe P. Coaltrain...gett, gett, gett. ;~)

As Mike says, the real trick to this is going to be advertising budget. Brrrr....money. And that will take some time to acquire effective funding. Sponsorship on some of the major outdoor and knife web forums might be the most effective use of limited funds in the short run. Or maybe the blade magazines, but that's something that needs to be decided at the organizational meeting.

But there will be things we all can do locally in the mean time. There are spring and fall festivals as well as local art shows and associations, like the ones we have over here in LBL that we can get involved in and use the opportunity to promote Kentucky Makers events. Local radio and news paper (if anyone is still reading those?) outlets that are always interested in promoting local and regional events and artisans. We can do our part by forming relationships with them. Then there are those dozen or so online hunting, fishing and knife makers forums that we are all members of. We can use that too.

Us forming an association is only going to be worth our time if we are not the only ones that know about it! That would be called a club. Fun, but they are like raising horses. They eat money and put out...well, we all know what they put out. ;~)

We will need to generate a buzz across the state and more importantly, with the wider national community for it to be effective.

I'm not trying to make this sound like a purely business endeavor, but for some of us it has to be to be worth it. Don't get me wrong, I love making knives. It's why I started, but to be honest I've never even met another working knife maker face to face in the nearly 30 years I've been doing it. Not by choice, just by circumstance.

Which is my way of saying, I'm not interested in forming a club to have something to do. I'm interested in forming an alliance that can benefit you and me in the here and now and leave a legacy that will benefit future generations of Kentucky artist. But I'm also glad to have the guys that just want to have a resource to lean and exchange ideas too. I don't think one is exclusive of the other.

JD
I couldnt agree more. I am interested in belonging to an organization instead of a "club". Since I bleed blue:) and I do believe we have tremendous talent in the state I am excited about promoting that talent.

Do we have to run it like a business? Yes and no. We dont have to worry about turning a profit, but I was taught anything worth doing is worth doing right. It takes money for things like renting space, advertising etc.

I am the President and a founding member of the East Ky Sportsmen Association. We started in April of 2009. So far the club is over 100 paid members (dues are $85/year), we have a 2.5 acre shooting range complete with trap and skeet, pistol, rifle and archery, a cowboy club that has been covered in a national magazine, we have three fishing tournys already scheduled for next year with corporate and local gov't sponsership. (two are charity tournys). This spring we are hosting a regional cowboy action shoot, and in the fall we are planning a Boone and Crockett weekend hopefully including a hammer in.:)

Im not writing this to brag. There are nine members on our executive board, and we have all worked very hard to get the club where it is. It is very much like running a business. We have had to work with the newspaper, radio, and website hosting. I have gone to local business owners and secured sponserships, as well as working with both our city and county governments. If we want this to be successful (and Im sure we do) it is going to take some work, especially considering we are spread across the state, Im about a 5 hour drive from you. Im still looking forward to the LBL hammer in and Ken lake croppie fishing trip.:)

Just want everyone to know Im looking forward to this very much and I will do what ever I can to help.
Sean

See...THAT"S what I mean by skills. And that's what I hoped I would hear from at least a few guys.

It was going to be a big old job to get this done if it's just up to Mike to do his part and educate the rest of us on how to do ours. Your experience will be invaluable in teaching the rest of us how to help. I know much of what needs to be done just through common sense, but guidance from guys like you and Mike will make it a lot easier for us guys that are not natural organizers to present a unified, professional front.

Very cool Sean.

Oh and I don't view it as bragging. We need everyone else with organizational, advertising, promotional, accounting, IT, law, graphic arts, public speaking, writing or even clerical skills that can aid in this to SPEAK UP so we know who can best utilized where. The more we can get rolling before the get together, the more we can get accomplished when we meet.

JD,

Great Sean and JD!

An annual hammer-in and meeting wouldn't be a huge task but it will take some planning and organization.

A show takes considerably more planning and work from several people.

If we were to form an official non-profit organization there are legal considerations, forms to file with the state, annual reporting, mission statement, election of officers, bank account, insurance, incorporation and a bunch of things to consider.

One of the primary benefits I see with organizing is simply promoting ourselves. As a group, we can utilize a central directory (website) for contact information and showing what we do. We could work with the KY Dept of Travel and Tourism and the Convention and Visitors bureau to help promote us along with other KY carftsmen.

I have some other ideas that I am looking into that might make things easier for us. I'll let you know as I get more information.

Mike,
Our club is set up as a Ky non-profit LLC. It was a pretty simple process but it did take some effort.

Sean
BTW here is a link to our club site, it is still a work in progress, we have a lot more pics to go on it.
www.ekysportsmen.com

Ok i finally got thru all the posts here. :) My name is Bennie Lovejoy and I live in Harlan county. I would be very interested in helping in any way possible. So please keep me posted.

Bennie

I now have 29 KY knifemakers on my list and at least 8 have said they would be active in creating some form KY Guild. 2thumbs

Back