help me out - I need pic's of jigs - Calling all jig pics!

Hello Ernie. That looks pretty darn good ! You still use the long table but instead of tilting it you tilt the blade holding fixture itself. Frank

Yes Earnie but you have to take the blade out and put it on the other side to grind the other side. You loose the algnment. I don't think it will work well for many blades including spear points. Frank

I did think of that when I first put the blade in the jig, I just measured everything then matched the measurements when I flipped it.

Seems like this is still a fairly popular thread. For many of us the more expensive "jigs" like surface grinders, milling machines and such are justy a bit more than we want to spend. Of course they don't really aid in the making of a blade.

Bubble jig update!

Hi guys. I just thought I would throw this out there. Fred is the man! The bubble jig Fred designed holds special place in my shop and has help me greatly with my flats! the only critque I have and I mean only is that for me its a little cumbersome on my vertical platen. This isn't a design flaw by any means with the jig but rather a design flaw in the machine that I have, a Bader III. If the platen was a adjustable, I don't think there would be any trouble with my grinds.

Thanks to Fred for making a really cool tool!

I have a friend here in town that sharpens sheep shears, lots of them. He showed me his set up for re-grinding the hollows when needed. It is a simple jig with a 2ft log steel rod with the blade clamped in one end and the other on an adjustable hook. It's a simple pendulum and works great. I made my own version and ground blades for a few years. A knife maker friend borrowed it and I never saw it again. I was forced to grind free hand but it was a long learning curve. I believe in jigs of any kind especially for production work. I wish there was a jig for hand sanding, it's killing my hands.

I went through all the pages of this and it is interesting for sure. In 20 + years as a knifemaker most of them full time I have heard all this descussion before. Any way you want to make a knife is right for you, just enjoy it and do the best you can. My only problem with some is when they are buying their blades from a supplier and telling people they are selling them to that they ae making them by hand. If you can afford a cnc more power to you, that is just your style of making knives. I have some slip joint patterns water jet cut and it saves me a lot of time. Even at that with my bad eyes and my shaking I still can't make two knives that look like they came from the same waterjet pattern Ha. I have no jigs but if I was to get some and it helped I would use them for sure. I have a little table top mill that is 20 years old and use it to cut the lock notch on my lock back folders and then the shoulders on my stick tang knives which I do very little of. The main thing to me is for everyone to enjoy how they do it. I promise if I could make knives llike David Broadwell I would not care how I did it to me his are the greatest and his patterns are top notch. Enough rambling just make knives and enjoy it. I do it for a living and sometimes I think that takes the enjoyment out. Life is too short to complain how someone else is doing something if it does not effect your life, and life is too good to be wasting it complaining.
My rambling is over and you guys and gals have a great weekend and come by when you are in Lufkin Texas

Percy

I agree Percy , And I wish there was a jig that could help me make knives Like David Broadwell I'd buy it but I think his are skill and patience.
Anthony

I would like to show my $1.50 milling machine for bolsters. Anyone who has seen this in my shop is surprised at it's simplicity. I still don't know how to post to the forum. Will someone let me send the picture to them and then post it for me? My email is niro@telus.net Thanks Frank

I would like to show my $1.50 milling machine for bolsters. Anyone who has seen this in my shop is surprised at it's simplicity. I still don't know how to post to the forum. Will someone let me send the picture to them and then post it for me? My email is niro@telus.net Thanks Frank

Frank!!!
Another TIP from you, I'm guessing ANOTHER GOLDEN NUGGET of info!!! Still waiting....anticipating...y'all hurry up! Or send it to me! I'll post it! I'll email you Frank, Rex

I did send two pictures off to Rex. I will answer your questions for sure, but the simlicity tells most of the story -- I think. Frank

Sorry guys, almost forgot about it tonight, just came in from the shop and feel like I've been beaten with a stick! But I said I would get it on here tonight so here it is! Rex

Back