help me out - I need pic's of jigs - Calling all jig pics!

Just a smile making one I hope Loosvelt !!
Well get your two bolsters sized down and matched to length after drilling holes for pins or screws that will fit blade needs, now just turn them the top side down and feed into the grinder first with a course belt running and then a fine one. If you have you scales flattened on the inside, now you can do those as well. You should get a great fit with just a bit of practice on scrap material. You can curve the front side of the bolster and do these too with a bit of practice. Frank

thought i would throw another in here for people to look at,its a design i built. the file guide in the last pic is from Bruce bump that i modified,and the two small screws in the base tilt for the angle. when done with one side pop out and turn it around to slip in other side.

Attachments

• 306242_449053815111137_1742720884_n.jpg
    306242_449053815111137_1742720884_n.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_3507.jpg
    100_3507.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_3514.jpg
    100_3514.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Why cant we just get some more pics of jigs without the drama.Some of us are disabled and must use them.Some just like to use them.Who cares.Let your own work stand for itself and dont worry or tell others how they should do it.

Thanks, I'm old and shaky with bad eyes, and even with a 'Bubble Jig' it's the pits when a sudden jerk or twitch ruins hours of forging. And, being a hobby I don't get too much practice.

Thanks, I'm old and shaky with bad eyes, and even with a 'Bubble Jig' it's the pits when a sudden jerk or twitch ruins hours of forging. And, being a hobby I don't get too much practice.

AMEN on that no drama clause ! :biggrin:

Where does it stop, Frank? At what point do you cross the line and stop being a knifemaker, one who makes knives by hand, and become the operator of a knife manufacturing facility? If you like grinding with a jig, you could probably find an old mechanical blade grinder like the old factories used. That could will get old though, so you invest in a CNC blade grinder like modern factories use. Why stop with a jig when you can have a machine in which you load a blade blank, push the button, and a couple of minutes later you have a blade that's completely ground? Why stop with blades? I'm sure there are fixtures for holding blocks of wood and ivory for shaping.

Factories can design knives as well as knifemakers, and in many cases are better. Factories can and in some cases do use the same quality materials. One of the biggest things that set knife MAKERS apart from knife FACTORIES is the hand work. If a maker is depending so heavily on tools to do the work because he either can't or won't do it by hand, he's turned into a one man knife factory.

The first knifemaker I met with a disability went by the handle "One Hander", and yes, he had only one hand. He made mostly folders including autos, and they were excellent. I've known Jeff Cover for many years. Jeff was right handed. . . until he lost it as a teenager. Jeff is a very competent knife maker. I've fly fished with him several times. He catches more trout than anybody I know! He also ties his own flies and ties them on his line. There was an older man years ago in the Guild whose name I've forgotten. He'd wheel his wheelchair up the grinder and work. He couldn't move around like I can, but he sure managed to do a great job!

Mcahron, you ask who cares. Many of the people who buy our knives do! They want to know that a maker uses his hands to make the knives he calls "hand made". I don't know what your disability is. If you do in fact need a jig, then use it. However, as I stated above I've know several disabled men who ground or still grind fine knives without jigs or fixtures.

So again, where is the line drawn? What are you telling your customers?

David
I agree to a point. If you use a ficture to hold a blade snd a table to rest the fixture on is it truely a HAND MADE KNIFE or just a custom made knife?????

Probably should have started a new thread. While it might be a valid topic the last post is 9 years old.

I don’t use jigs because I often do some weird elements in my bevel that really isn’t a practical application, but I don’t see how using one can make anyone’s work less desirable. Everyone has specialized stuff to make difficult processes easier. Power hammers, grinders, drill presses, and the list could go on forever. If you can make one that attaches the blade via magnets, that would be cool. Having a steel plate on the back so you can attach a magnetic platen chiller would be awesome too. Just my thoughts if you are designing one.

Back