Have you heard the latest Rumor about Bossdog................

Hey, boss. Just to let you know, all of my VFD driven motors click when running. I don't know, but it may be inherent in how 3 phase motors run?

It looks great, btw! Check out ACE hardware for springs of something akin to Sutherlands. Good selections for the most part.

--nathan

This VFD is NOT reversible. They can be purchased as a more expensive option. I guess I will just never run it backwards.

Boss,

The VFD that you have looks the same as mine (KBAC-27D). This VFD IS reversible with the addition of a "Forward-Stop-Reverse" switch which can also be found at the State Electric website. I have this switch installed on my KMG... but if your grinder is anything like the KMG, it will not track very well in reverse.

We haven't started pricing yet but the pivot arm makes it attractively efficient. This does NOT include the motor or VFD. A major SWAG: more than $500 but less than $1k. That is closest I can get right now just from seat of the pants. The purchaser would need to assemble the frame and wheels. All connectors and wheels would be included. Every thing would be included except the motor (and VFD if you went that way).

Looks like pricing will be fairly competetive considering all wheels will be provided and a motor/vfd will be the only additional purchases to get it up and running. 2thumbs

Erin

dang...that's a hell of a fine investment,and I think it'll be my first major purchase when I start setting up the new shop.
I have the use of a little 1X42 that a good friend has lent me,
but it ain't gonna move much steel for makin' knives for real
so I gotta get with the full-meal-deal...yo.huh1:D
(sorry,I was listening to old BeastieBoyz this morningcool 1)

Boss, I can supply 3 phase 1.5 hp motors for about $150.00 plus shipping. I can have them drop shipped and save shipping costs.
I also have Cable Glands for $2.00 each, plus shipping.

As to the issue about reversing the grinder. I wired my Moe's Grinder (Build a Belt Grinder Workshops) based on the NWG plans to run in reverse and found that there are problems when running it in reverse. I believe, but have not tried it, that for a grinder to work well in either direction there would have to be an additional tracking wheel so that in either direction the first wheel after the drive wheel is a tracking wheel.

Last edited:
So has a price been set on these? Is there a for sale thread that I'm missing?

TYIA

Leadfoot

no work on pricing has been done at all. We are still working on the work rest and a small wheel attachment.

Nice versatile unit you guys have come up with. What is the dimension from the center line of the 8" wheel to the sweet spot on the flat platen? Just wondering how much higher one would have to reach to work after changing the arm position from hollow grinding to flat. Will this baby accommodate a 14" wheel?

Just a thought.....the nut that holds the pivot arm in position may need a washer on the outside as that nut will tear up the slide notch. If you add a bit of meat to the bottom of the main arm, at the pivot point, you would have a place to bolt your work rest to. Is the angle iron used for the flat platen machined flat where the belt rides, it would be a plus for smooth grinds that stuff is not always smooth.

I think you guys have a winner here!!

I ain't the Boss, but here we go. I building 5 grinders next week to finalize the design and get them ready to sell. These 5 are mine. I didn't have one to test so....now I do. The final version should be ready in a few weeks. Hang in there. cool 1

I was working with the prototype and found a problem we will have to solve before we can move forward. In a nutshell it takes 3 hands to get it set up and tight. It just can't go out the door this way. We are going to have to take a step back and redesign the swivel arm mount and belt tension design. More as it develops.

We have what we think is an acceptable design change, we are both just neck deep in projects right now. We will get back to this one...soon I hope.

Boss Dog,
What is the footprint of your new grinder? I am redoing my workshop and am planning to buy a new grinder someday soon. Dan

Back