Have you heard the latest Rumor about Bossdog................

The rotating platen is a bit too long for the KMG. When we get the current project done, we will come back and re-look at one that will fit the KMG...

Tracy,
You and Dave just became my new hero's! I agree the grinder is the priority, and I hope I can put it on my list of things to get when I sell a kidney!!!
I have to say that I do love my KMG, I think Rob had a stroke of genius when he designed it. I know when I got mine I was blown away by how over built it was. I'm no engineer (well actually, I'm an engineering assistant at work), so I'm not saying it was built with too much extra material. But in this day and time of manufacturers cutting every corner skimping anywhere and everywhere they can cut a corner this machine has no corners cut, it's built to handle any extreme torque or pressure, even the tooling arms are made of SOLID steel! The only thing I would like to see done differently and it is NOT a big deal, is that it be a direct drive like Dave and Tracy's. I know it's been done before, there are several out there already that are direct drive. I'm sure it wouldn't take a lot to make it direct drive. Unless, the folks that know a lot more than I do, already know that for what ever reason it won't work, I wonder what it would take to make it happen....that could be really interesting. That would go nicely with a VFD set-up, if I can ever bite the bullet to spend a whole lot of money...maybe I can do that with the kidney money, hhmmm. Got me thinking. Oh yeah, just kidding about the kidding about the kidney, I've had so many kidney stones, I'd have to pay someone to take mine!!! Rex

I only have about 300 sq feet, unless I park the wife's car outside, hmmmm, could almost double space. But a bigger shop will not help me if I am dead.

Not on the fence BTW, waiting on you and Tracy.
Jim

I'm glad I'm single again...no need to worry 'bout stuff like that.
Kinda hard to make knives when you're hiding under the bed,yeah?:D

no idea on price yet. Dave says he will have Version 2 in the mail to me by the end of this week. Once I get it built (15 minutes to build it, 10 hours to wire up the VFD and motor, 1 hour to work up the nerve to plug it in the socket in case I wired it wrong)
Then we can start working on pricing...sorry, can't be more specific.

I'm really,really liking the sounds of this...

Rex, the reason the KMG was built with indirect drive was to increase diversity of options for driving it. Different motor positions/mounting options, different motor face types, single phase motors with variable speed (step pulleys), 3 phase motors with VFD, etc. etc. etc.

I have nothing against direct drive grinders (I have two of them along with my KMG), though they do cost more to set up for variable speed because of the need for 3 phase and a VFD. I'm looking forward to seeing version two of this project. It should be a big plus of knifemakers even if many choose to go just with a single speed option!

--nathan

Dave got the aluminum plate in yesterday. He'll be cutting it today and getting V2 to build.

Getting closer:running dog::D

I am about to pull the plug on a KMG, NWG or this Mystery Grinder.....Looking forward to a price reference and to witness the MG running full speed2guns

Bring it on guys.

Chris

Getting closer:running dog::D

I am about to pull the plug on a KMG, NWG or this Mystery Grinder.....Looking forward to a price reference and to witness the MG running full speed2guns

Bring it on guys.

Chris

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEzuC5UoM8g"]YouTube- Guns N' Roses - Patience[/ame]

Dave has Ver2 cut and will ship it Monday for me to build and shake down.

The name is semi-officially The KnifeDogs Grinder or KDG

has a nice ring doesn't it?

Dave has Ver2 cut and will ship it Monday for me to build and shake down.

The name is semi-officially The KnifeDogs Grinder or KDG

has a nice ring doesn't it?

I like the name!!

I might have to hold of on a build if this one is affordable!!

2thumbsWay to go Tracy. I just sent you an e-mail that said that I was calling my Grinder Workshop build "Moe's Grinder" after my shop dog.
I’ve been thinking about getting a web-site and will purport that Moe is the brains behind it all (right after the Boss Dog).2thumbs

Last edited:
It is under the "Worlds Best Thread About Grinders" thread started by Tracy and in the "For Sale" Forum under the "Build A Belt Grinder" thread.

Last edited:
V2 showed up today. Now I have to put it together and get it wired. Every one getting ready for Blade show has us hopping here. I hope to get it in the next couple days.

Dont worry boss, I requested a month full of 36 hour days for May! :) I need to check on the status of that order....

Back