Couple of slip joint WIP

Knife #7

Please please no ban1 :eek:
I didn't wanna hijack Ryans thread here but the threat of ban has changed my mind, LOL :D

This is a Zulu pattern from GLWJ
3/32 ATS-34, in house HT to Rc 60-61 with dry ice cryo.
.040 410 SS liners
1/8" 416 SS pins
Carmel Micarta scales sanded to 1000 then buffed with white compound
Nail nick hand cut with Dremel
Spring flush in all three positions
Snaps open and closed nicely
Blade lays to one side in the closed position :( At least it doesn't touch the liner though. I'm thinking I can fix this next time by surface grinding the blade (on flat platen) before drilling and reaming the pin hole

I did some things out of order purposely on this one. I decided to assemble the whole works before doing any hand sanding on the bevels or etching makers mark. I didn't wanna invest alot of hand finishing time on a knife that could have potentially turned out unsatisfactory in the function dept. so the finish is not going to be the best on this one :eek:

Yall ought to like this one... I intended on doing 416SS bolsters on this knife. Cut out the material and needed to solder them on. Didn't have any flux or money but had some Rosin Core silver solder so I figured I'd give it a shot. Clamped with vise grips, put in vise, hit with Mapp Gas. The result.... A beautiful 3/8" liquid silver orb rolling around on the bolster lol. You know the rest of the story.... liquid solder to the concrete floor 2thumbs Only one speck of the "splash" got my ankle so no harm done. It's funny how a miserable failure like this really made me laugh and smile and say the heck with bolsters and stag, why not shadow pattern.

I just snapped a couple pics to show you guys and will try to get better ones when the hand sanding is finished.

slippie1001.jpg

slippie1002.jpg

slippie1003.jpg

Let me know what yall, Think -Josh

Josh,

There is a lot to these to get them to work right and to get the blade to close dead center.
Keep up the good work, you got a nice looking shadow there. - congrats. :)

Todd

Josh that's awesome man! Since you don't like it enough, feel free to send it on to me for proper disposal. ;) I'll make sure it gets the proper treatment. Like in the pocket of my chinos! You're an inspiration, thanks for sharing. 2thumbs

Looks great Josh. I sometimes have a hard time centering the blade too. You have to make sure it is ground evenly on both sides, make sure the liners are dead flat (sometimes you may have to bend them a little). Also one thing I have found is be very careful when peening, especially the pivot (at least in one with no bushing) it would surprise you how much the blade will move from one side to the other.

Keep it up!

Sean

Dang Josh, you have turned out some awesome work with just the few knives you've done. Thanks for posting the pictures. Stories like your soldering story are why i bought the spot welder, I couldn't pull it off lol.

Burch you have an idea of why it snapped? Too much preload, bad heat treat? Just curious got any pics in progress ?!?!?!?!?!

Nothing to update, put way way way too many hours in at work this week. I got a few hours saturday off and spent it watching a college football with my wife and hanging out with my little boy. Hope ya'll had a great Thanksgiving and if ya'll have any pictures to show of slip joints feel free to post em. I haven't had time to work on em so I enjoy lookin at em. I know Sean posted a great looking elk slippie in the gallery.

Thanks Ryan, I know what you mean about alot of hours. Take care of that family, and yes I had a great thanksgiving, hope eveyone else did too.

Sean

Ah I dang near forgot what the inside of the knife shop looked like. Since Thanksgiving I've spent hours and hours guiding hunts (I work on a hunting ranch).

Not much done, but I do have the pearl fit to the bolsters. Now I'm getting ready to knock the bolsters down to the right thickness.
My next step was to line up my tic marks and trace the under side so that I can lay the pearl on there roughly where I want it. Tic marks would have worked by themselves, but I like having more than one line up.
knives877.jpg

Next I dye chemed the bolsters.
knives876.jpg

I laid the pearl on the knife in the right spot. You can see the difference in thickness here.
knives878.jpg

In this next picture I hope you can see the line I made with a xacto knife blade to mark where the pearl came up to. My next step after this will be to grind down to the line and start shaping bolsters more.
knives879.jpg

knives880.jpg

It's so cold in my shop the dye chem was freezing to the liner instead of drying. I'm from west Texas, this panhandle cold stuff is throwing me for a loop lol.

Nice to see you back Ryan! I hate to think what guiding is like in that cold weather... Yikes! We're more used to that here, but -- I don't go outside much when it's like it is today.

We got around 14" of snow yesterday, and today the wind is kicking up to 20-40 mph. Blizzard conditions throughout the state. That makes me think clearing off the driveway will be good exercise and nothing else. :D

I'm really looking forward to your progress on these knives! I've spent some time going back over your work, getting it settled in my mind. My shop has been abandoned for a while too. I'll get free one day and get back down there though! Meanwhile, you can be my knifemaking proxy. :)

14" of snow, I don't think I've ever seen more than 10". Bad deal with all this cold weather, is that we didn't get any moisture.

I got some shaping of the boslters done tonight. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow night.

Agreed! :D I think Ryan's shop, regardless whether he provided any brews, would be preferable to shoveling snow, any day! The city finally got our street cleared today and I got the last round of snow from the plow off our driveway. That's a relief. Maybe it won't snow again for a couple days.

Then again, if I were to get good and snowed in I'd eventually get the honey-do list caught up and might get some shop time. Hm...

:D

Back