BUFFER ACCIDENT

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
I was given a really old really nice boker straight razors. One has clean shave etched in the blade and the other has extra hollow ground written in old english font. WIDE BLADE . I was so happy my grampa gave them to me and I didnt have them for a hour when I I went to the buffer I did the 5/8 blade and sharpened it hair popping. The I went to the 7/8 and was done when saw one little black dot so I touched it tto the buffer and maybee blinked when the darn buffer grabbed it from me tore it out of my hand and snapped the blade off . I was lost for words So so mad at myself I should have done it all by hand this was my grampas dads razor my great grampa about a 1920 s razor . Im done with the buffer I will never buff a finished knife ever again . The piece of the razor flew so hard and fast I cant even find it to glue it together . Im dissapointed with myself to say the least, destroying it . I had hopes to sharpen it make a handle and use this very razor my great grampa used. Im SICK about it.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your family heirloom to the buffer! I'm glad that you weren't physically injured.

Ya chris im lost for words but your right im lucky the small piece went back and down somewhere and not at my throat or ide be at the ER

I believe your Luck outweighs your Loss on this one . I couldn't even imagine buffing a straight razor... Nads of Steel you have Sir.....

Glad your OK!! WHEW! Razor and buffer.....two words that scare the daylights out of me when used in the same sentence!

You know guys I have literally tons of tools I could have took the dremel and green paste and done a better job I coulda took some chrome polish and hand rubbed the shine back . the dumbest part is I said nope thats good enough and then said well just that little spot. 100 years of a family heirloom in the toilet . I wanted everyone know how dumb that was buffing a knife ya but a 1/2 inch wide razor blade just stupid especially when it was hair popping sharp. Im done with the buffer on sharp items . If they have no edge fine ill buff but man oh man what a dangerous tool . I did find one small piece of the edge of the blade but not all of it . It was 10 ft behind where I was standing. Kellyw ps I think the rabbits foot saved me again .

Man sorry to hear about that but glad your ok. I guess I won't be getting a buffer any time soon. just seems like those things are not worth the extra shine.

I never buff any knife unless screwed to a 2" x2" board. I think it just is not worth it!! If it requires buffing again, it becomes a satin finished knife.

Dennis

This was a really fancy 7/8 etched on the blade straight razor Ill show it tommorrow. I know dennis These blades are so small it should have never went to the buffer. I woulda done a better job with a dremel. The pin hole is Like 1 /16 very small so srewing it to a board wasnt an option.

Sorry to hear about the razor Kelly. But at least you did not get injured. Maybe do some searching and possibly find it? Maybe at least find a way to salvage it and keep it around!

Maybe this is a sign as to why I have yet to order a buffer:eek: Happy tohear you did not get hurt man.

Close call.:unsure:

Chris

Glad you weren't hurt. I hate to work on anything that is already sharp. Just opens up the opportunity for accidents to become much worse.
-John

Just reading the title to the thread gave me the shivers. Sorry for the loss of your Grandpa's razor but I'm really relieved that it didn't also result in the loss of body parts. I think that I'm going to stick with my cordless hand drill with the knife clamped in a vice to do my buffing with.

Doug Lester

I think that I'm going to stick with my cordless hand drill with the knife clamped in a vice to do my buffing with.

Doug Lester

I'm seriously confused... why don't more people do like you said?!? It seems SO much safer. Also a lot cheaper, why buy a buffer if the drill I already have can do the same job? Is there a major reason that regular buffers get a better finish or something?

Kelly, I'm sorry about your razor, but I'm very glad you didn't get hurt.

James a confession, anymore the only thing that I buff is the handle. I prefer a satin finish on my blades which I do with a Scotch Guard belt on my grinder. If I do decide to do a mirror finish on a blade it will be done with oil polishing stones with the above set up with a buffing wheel just to bring the finish all together. A buffer would probably do a better job but right now I'm on a fixed income and I have to watch what I lay money out on. I do agree that the my little set up might be safer as long as the blade is secured to a knife board. I really hate the idea of playing "let's dodge the flying blade".

Doug Lester

I ll let you all know ,I have alot of light in my shop but I dont have excellent light at my buffer and that was a big reason I lost the blade to the buffer. Razor blades are so thin they heat up very fast and they could be ruined easily even just by buffing. I should have used the dremel on very slow speed and it would have been better and I could have clamped it in the vise way safer too. I will say this buffing a blade on a buffer can have some awesome results and very fast but dont blink or your in trouble.

To be honest I think we have all been there(atleast those of us who learn by their own mistakes cause we are too hard headed to heed the advice of others, lol). The last time I stepped up to my buffer it threw the knife I was working on(one of the first I have ever made, and it was my dad's) straight into the concrete, snapping the tip off,it would be different if it was something you could replace, but noooooo it has to happen when you are workin on something with irreplaceable value. Since then I have refused to touch a buffing pad with steel and only use it for handles and even then I use my GI Joe kung fu grip...

Back