WTB a little steel

Chris Martin

Looking to buy a couple sticks. I would go with Admiral etc, but they want an order of no less than 20-22' per order.

I am looking for some 5160 for the most part...but any of the HC steels will work. Only looking for flat stock, not forging yet:(

I would like the specs to be close to this:

1/4 x 2-3"x8' A couple sticks would work perfect for me. But if its already cut down that works too so long as there is a couple sticks around 15" or so.

Thanks to anyone that can come off a couple2thumbs

Best,

Chris

try a local "Spring " shop .. the kind that makes spring's for vehicles..
most have cut pieces around they are happy to sell as they are usually too short for them to use ..just trying to help ya find a source ..2thumbsban1

Have already tried several local machine companies and they didnt have what I was after. I will get some. Good thing is several guys hooked me up awhile back to practice on. Now I need to get to making a few:D

Thanks for the efforts though...but trust me have tried calling a few shops around.

Best,

Chris

try a local "Spring " shop .. the kind that makes spring's for vehicles..
most have cut pieces around they are happy to sell as they are usually too short for them to use ..just trying to help ya find a source ..2thumbsban1

Hey Jake,

I have a guy about 45 min from me that has tons of Semi Truck springs. I just need to pick them up....bad thing is they are off newer model semi trucks. I will have to send a chunk in for analysis....but might be worth it, there is a lot there. As of right now, just trying to find some known 5160. Seems nobody likes to reply back these days???

I will score some, might have to give me buddy James up in Joplin a call soon....haha I know buddy....I am terrible about the phone thing:Dunsure

The junk yard carries leaf springs for dirt cheap.

ETA: Aldo has some 6150/5160 on steroids if he would ever get back with me....;-) Ohhhhh Aldo, where ya be brotha....lol

I have heard the majority of them are....but still take a chance. I am still picking the ones up in Ark City....thats a lot of steel for free if its 5160 or a similar high carbon steel anyway.

Are all/most leaf springs 5160?

Last edited:
Bruce,

Thanks for the lead bud. Good to have a supplier here in Oklahoma. For now I am going to go with Aldo's 6150, but I will give Ray a call and place an order next batch!

Thanks again for the lead.

Chris

Chris, have you checked with Ray Kirk(raker.com)

Good ol Aldo is gonna hook me up...was a pleasure chatting with ya bud.

Thanks to everyone who have helped.

Chris.

Back