Which Super Steel?

Fiddleback

I'm wanting to add an upscale kinda line, and I'm also doing kitchen knives now too so I need to choose a good stainless steel. I want something that I can heat treat myself with my Paragon furnace, something that grinds well, performs like a supersteel, and is in high demand in the marketplace.

To get me these things, I've been looking at CPM 154.

1. Are there others I should consider?

2. Can you describe how you heat treat this one, or do you have it sent out?

3. Do I need to cryo, can you describe how you cryo, and what you needed to get started freezing?

I can't give you technical data or expert opinion, but I really like the performance of CPM154 CM. Reading about the new S35VN, has gotten me pretty excited too. Of course, the Carpenter's XHP that Les used on his pass around blade was some awesome steel as well. I'm not sure of it was Les's craftsmanship or the steel, but that was one of, if not the most impressive blade I've used in a long time.

for the kitchen knives, if you are going high end, look for some san mai with 10v. Some of the Damascus guys are playing with it. Pricey but it's top shelf stuff for that application.

I've also heard good things about the damascus san mai with VG-10 core, I believe HellGap made a kitchen knife with it and was really pleased. It's gorgeous stuff and he told me it's holding an edge really really well. Hopefully he'll chime in and remind us where he got it.

You can't really go wrong with CPM-154, and as Murph said the new S35VN sure looks interesting. Apparently they HT the same, I don't know of any reason you couldn't do it in a Paragon with foil wrap and a plate quench. Reputable folks have told us many times that even a dry ice with acetone or alcohol cryo treatment is worthwhile if yu don't have a liquid nitrogen set-up.

I asked about high-end klitchen knives awhile back and was a little surprised how many of the pros wanted high-carbon blades they can touch up with a steel. I'm pretty sure you know how to handle O1 and the like :)

In any case I think your signature style would look great in the kitchen, Andy!

Andy , for the $ , CPM-134 or ATS-34 is hard to beat. They are essentially identical & heattreatable with your Paragon & definitely benefit from cryo . Cryo treatment is simple.
You need to get a Dewar & fill with liquid Nitrogen. You can usually find a used Dewar On Fleabay for $200 -300 . You might find a dairy farmer in your area with one for sale. They are used mainly for semen storage used in artificial insemination of dairy cattle .

Joe

I can't speak for XHP but I have used CTS-40CP from Carpenter, it is their powder metal verson of 440C - but with racing stripes! It compares to ATS-34 IMO. I've got one on my site that I made recently from 40CP. It works real well and treats much like 440C, perhaps a little easier since quench temp is not quite as high. I am gonna use it on my next personal kitchen cutter- I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Back