What's going on in your shop?

Howdy guys. I’ve been MIA for some time. Actually been wrapped up in building some firearms, machining 80% receivers & some parts the last 2 years. I’d post some pics of the sick rifles/pistol I’ve build, but this is a knife forum… I just need to split my time, LOL.

But just before, here’s the last blade I did. This was a gift for a good friend. CPM3V blade, dipped in Ferric Chloride/stone-washed & Green/Black G10 scales, fixed with blackened Ti hardware. And my typical Kydex sheathe.

Back on Bob Dozier's guard soldering, I use Stay Clean flux with silver solder and my wire is 1/8 round. i take it to my bench block and beat it almost flat. i have maybe a 1/32 edge touching and dip in the flux previous to touch the hot guard. A lot less mess to clean up afterwards. I have a piece of 3/16 brass rod that I grind to a chisel edge to cut solder off.

Back on Bob Dozier's guard soldering, I use Stay Clean flux with silver solder and my wire is 1/8 round. i take it to my bench block and beat it almost flat. i have maybe a 1/32 edge touching and dip in the flux previous to touch the hot guard. A lot less mess to clean up afterwards. I have a piece of 3/16 brass rod that I grind to a chisel edge to cut solder off.

Thanks for the advice. I have Stay Brite silver solder and flux. My small Gentec torch came today. I need to go buy some gas tomorrow and give it a shot! I'm going to practice on a knife that's not for sale the first time...

Another tidbit.
if stainless I solder from the top but if brass you can apply at bottom and move your heat to the top of guard and it will suck up it
to the top. I have a piece of 1/16 stainless wire that I sharpened and use it to drag solder around the guard to make sure it is filled where I want.

Finished this one today. Pop’s “Lion Killer” pattern.

- 80CrV2 high carbon steel @ 58 HRC (+/-2)
- 10.25" OAL - 4.75" handle, 5.5" cutting edge w/20dps sharpened angle
- Israeli FAL stock Beech (flame treated), African Blackwood bolster, vulcanized fibre spacer, brass & brass-lined copper pins. Tru-Oil finish.
- Custom leather sheath, hand-stitched w/copper tube rivets

19D4B491-1D57-4987-9899-E4BE6C5CC685.jpeg

D560AB8B-BEAC-4AC7-977C-589F2D5ECEE4.jpeg

A different project. A friend gifted me this knife a couple of years ago and it's been stored. I saw some old vintage Marbles knife pics and thought I might have an old Marbles, but it turned out to be a WeidmannsHeil blade. It's in expected shape for an old vintage knife. The handle is loose and the spaces are most likely brittle. So i have decided to take it apart and give it a new lease on life. I'll keep the patina on the blade and just clean off the crusties. I'll put on a beefier guard and new spaces most likely. I'll try to save the pommel if I can. When it's all done, I'll see if my friend would like it back. It was his dad's and really don't know why he gifted it to me other than his wife doesn't like things like knives and other things :). It's a cool knife and I imagine back in its day was a handsome piece.

Back