What's going on in your shop?

I woke up yesterday to what is one of my "good days".... minimal pain, and feeling that I could get some work done in the shop. For whatever reason I was near where the Organ Crush power unit sits (power unit for my press... a 4 cyl Kubota diesel) and noticed that the spin on fuel filter was hanging by the fuel line/hoses?? Looked closer and the mount had broken....looked like it had fatigued due to vibration... kinda odd.

After looking things over, I noticed that the engine was oddly tilted, and the bottom of the fan was nearly touching the radiator. Finally found that the rubber on the motor mounts was literally gone.....and the motor mounts were metal to metal! NOT GOOD. So my day in the shop, turned into a day of removing the old motor mounts, and building new ones out of horse stall mat. :) Guess that's what I get for not doing routine maintenance checks on it....like I should. Sometimes the day just never goes as you thought....... But now all is good!

Although repairs can be an unexpected pain in the posterior, it is good to be creatively handy .

Scott

I had that happen recently with a piece of maple burl. Thing looked great and then I started the final shaping only to find the cracks and some voids. I had to fill them as the scales were pretty awesome and I didn't want to toss them. I had end cuts that I was able to get saw dust and fill.

Image0001.jpg

i had to fill a void in a Koa handle recently. I hated doing it but honestly nobody even knows what i’m talking about even when i point it out to them.

I have a CZ bolt gun stock with- I kid you not- a KNOT from where a branch was growing out of the tree. You can see the filled void in the center of the knot. The filler looks exactly like filler. I was a little upset when I saw that (I ordered the rifle online). I’m glad I didn’t send it back- that rifle is otherworldly accuracy-wise. Now it’s just part of the rifle’s character that I’ve come to accept, like a great dog with a broken tail. It’s charming once you get used to it.

i had to fill a void in a Koa handle recently. I hated doing it but honestly nobody even knows what i’m talking about even when i point it out to them.

I have a CZ bolt gun stock with- I kid you not- a KNOT from where a branch was growing out of the tree. You can see the filled void in the center of the knot. The filler looks exactly like filler. I was a little upset when I saw that (I ordered the rifle online). I’m glad I didn’t send it back- that rifle is otherworldly accuracy-wise. Now it’s just part of the rifle’s character that I’ve come to accept, like a great dog with a broken tail. It’s charming once you get used to it.
My OCD wouldn't have allowed me to keep the rifle. I would have had to send it back or put a new stock on it. :)

I have several CZ rifles in 17hmr. By far my most accurate and fun to shoot rifles. Weird safety. It is backwards. Forward is safe. Backwards is fire. All have beautiful stocks.

I posted this in the folder forums, but thought I'd drop it here too. I'd seen these around, and always wanted to build one....so I scavenged part of a scalpel, and did it! It's really nothing more than a slipjoint with a device that holds a replacable #20-#24 scalpel blade where a normal slipjoint blade would be.
Of course I had to jazz it up with nickel/1080 mosaic scales, and a Ti clip, that I hot blued and then finished out with clear Gun-Kote. The more I use the Gun-Kote the more I like it.

The 16 foot ceiling in my shop with the giant 8 foot lights has always caused a horrible shadow when I'm on my grinder. I would have to put the movable lights in a position that almost blocks my vision to get rid of the shadow. This morning I decided to fix the problem. I should have done this 2 years ago!
20200523_130652_copy_540x720.jpg

Last edited:
Back