What's going on in your shop?

Well it looks like I might not get much done in the shop this afternoon. The older I get the less heat tolerant I am. Time to make the schedule switch and get up at 4am to beat the heat. :)

View attachment 69653
My brother mentioned how hot it was up there last week - 98F or so, and that wasn't heat index! Seems he said WVTV say Greenville, MS had a 121F heat index? What part are you from up there? I grew up in that area with Channel 9 (Tupelo) and channel 4 (Columbus) being the only stations we got on TV. I'm now in Baldwin Co, AL - got too hot and cold for me up there.

My brother mentioned how hot it was up there last week - 98F or so, and that wasn't heat index! Seems he said WVTV say Greenville, MS had a 121F heat index? What part are you from up there? I grew up in that area with Channel 9 (Tupelo) and channel 4 (Columbus) being the only stations we got on TV. I'm now in Baldwin Co, AL - got too hot and cold for me up there.
In the Tupelo area. Heat index was 118 the other day. Only 95 with a 102 index right now. We're having a cool snap. :)

A year ago we moved to a different house. I took a week off to redo one of the garage stalls into a small hobby shop. It's not a knife shop. It's for engraving practice, reloading (not set up yet - shotgun shells for trap and sporting clays) and rigging up the perfect tackle for slaying fish and the occasional "shop" stuff around the house.

The previous owner had a small wood shop in this stall and it was beat. It took a couple days to mud and sand, then painted the ceiling, walls and put epoxy down on the floor. The floor came out amazing. I ripped out the built in work benches, shelves and wall racks and converted everything to roll around chests or cabinets. I also added base molding all around with new wood trim around the doors and window. I changed out the lights to 4' LED and it's brighter than daylight inside. Now I obsess over the smallest bit of dust or dirt which probably isn't good but dang it's clean.
View attachment 69491View attachment 69495View attachment 69492View attachment 69494

That's to pretty to work in Boss!!

Grinding and hand sanding been keeping me busy
P76FmH1l.jpg

I braved the 105 degree Texas heat this weekend and got knives #4 and #5 forged, rough ground, hardened and the handles glued and roughed ground. These are both 1084 with a Bacote and Zebra Wood handle. Both blades hardened better than my previous knives (between 55 and 60)and the grinding got a little prettier. Both blades came close to the intended design but had less curve than I wanted. Overall some things got better some stayed sub par. I will finish these this week (I will post pics when done)and go for #6 and 7 next weekend.
Thanks to everyone posting here. I have been soaking up knowledge like a sponge. My first knife I made 101 mistakes. On #s 4 and 5, I am down to 100.

Attachments

• IMG_1147[1].JPG
    IMG_1147[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1148[1].JPG
    IMG_1148[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1143[1].JPG
    IMG_1143[1].JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
^^ What they said ^^
Been working on this fellow. Any suggestions on how to get a tighter fit on bolsters and handle material? I think when I was putting in the 45 degree angle with the disk sander I must have accidentally rocked the bolsters back and forth, making the middle of them thicker. Also working on getting a facebook page set up, hopefully the link in my signature works.Knife 2.JPGknife 3.JPG

^^ What they said ^^
Been working on this fellow. Any suggestions on how to get a tighter fit on bolsters and handle material? I think when I was putting in the 45 degree angle with the disk sander I must have accidentally rocked the bolsters back and forth, making the middle of them thicker. Also working on getting a facebook page set up, hopefully the link in my signature works.View attachment 69833View attachment 69834
It's hard to see in your photos but if you haven't glued the scales on yet, you could remove the scales and sand to fit both the back of the bolsters and the scales.

It's hard to see in your photos but if you haven't glued the scales on yet, you could remove the scales and sand to fit both the back of the bolsters and the scales.
Yes, It's already glued up. The question was just asked for future reference as I tried to do the best fit up on this one that I could, but the bolsters were already peened on before I realized that they weren't flat and true. I was just wondering what other people did to combat this.

Yes, It's already glued up. The question was just asked for future reference as I tried to do the best fit up on this one that I could, but the bolsters were already peened on before I realized that they weren't flat and true. I was just wondering what other people did to combat this.
The only thing I can think of that would help would be to dry fit before gluing on your scales, or peening the bolsters down. I've been guilty of this myself. But I've been learning that dry fitting as often as necessary until satisfied with the fit seems to be the only way to be sure everything will fit the way you want.

Back