What's going on in your shop?

Uggg! Managed to ruin two blades in about 10 min on my new grinder. Need to get used to it and slow down a bit. Hoping to grind my first bevals tomorrow. Not looking forward to that. Lol. I'll learn in time I guess but sometimes it is frustrating!

Uggg! Managed to ruin two blades in about 10 min on my new grinder. Need to get used to it and slow down a bit. Hoping to grind my first bevals tomorrow. Not looking forward to that. Lol. I'll learn in time I guess but sometimes it is frustrating!
Stick with it. It's all about practice...pressure in the right spot....holding your mouth right....luck.....sometimes skill....sometimes they come out right and you don't burn your thumbs and ruin the temper on a blade. :p

Been working on learning CNC in the HAAS mill.
These are a couple prototype test runs for a small flipper. Some flashing and tabs to remove but they seemed to have come out OK.
I had been trying to do/learn this in a few hours a day and then move on to something else. That hasn't worked. I put aside everything else and have been concentrating on just the CNC stuff and I feel like I'm making some progress.
IMG_3282 (1).jpg

Working on a special knife for my Mom. In 1978 she was on the Price is Right and won the show case showdown. We have never seen the footage. We have been trying to track it down for decades. This year my sister in law found it from some person in the UK. 2 weeks before my Knife or Death show aired we suprised her with the footage. The only thing still left around from the prizes was a TV console that had long collected dust in my dads shop. So I tore into it and salvaged some wood from it.
This is that wood on a knife I will give her for Christmas.
20181031_121046.jpg20181031_115743.jpg20181116_231852.jpg

Working on a special knife for my Mom. In 1978 she was on the Price is Right and won the show case showdown. We have never seen the footage. We have been trying to track it down for decades. This year my sister in law found it from some person in the UK. 2 weeks before my Knife or Death show aired we suprised her with the footage. The only thing still left around from the prizes was a TV console that had long collected dust in my dads shop. So I tore into it and salvaged some wood from it.
This is that wood on a knife I will give her for Christmas

How special! It is so cool to be able to tie a memory to a knife that will last forever. (Unlike a console TV!)

There’s a good chance I watched that episode. I stayed with my grandparents just about every day and we never missed it.

San Mai stainless over Random pattern HHH damascus

That is awesome. The line looks like a cardio tracing on a polygraph. I have never made san mai. I understand the theory and academics I just have not done it but dang I need to. In your final grind and or etch do you have control of the shape of the demarcation line? If so, how (simply stated) do you control it?

That is gorgeous! Really nice lines. Clean workmanship. Looks like it would be very comfortable in the hand. Great job!
Thank you. This is the third knife I’ve used this handle style. It is pretty comfortable.

Nice knife you just posted. What is that nice looking wood?

Thank you. This is the third knife I’ve used this handle style. It is pretty comfortable.

Nice knife you just posted. What is that nice looking wood?

Double dyed maple. It has a real camo look to it. Orange liners and natural micarta pins. Granddaughter has a basketball game tonight so I'll try to get on it tomorrow. :)

Back