What's going on in your shop?

Daniel, it's a belt run surface grinder. It takes the same belts as my 2 x 72.

The Christmas project is something I've been doing for a few years now. It started as just a one time idea but quickly turned into an annual event. I make a knife of my choosing and sell it. It's always one of my higher end pieces, whether it's a hunter, bowie or folder. 100% of the proceeds I give anonymously to a random local struggling family (usually with kids) right before Christmas.

I can't hardly stand the idea of a nice family with kids not having a bright Christmas. The Christmas knife project is probably the highlight of my year, every year.
Thanks!
That's a really cool thing you do, thanks for sharing! So is that going to be the bigger blade up above? that's a good way to end and start the year.

The bigger vest bowie is for a commissioned order. The smaller fileworked hunter is for the Christmas project.

It is a wonderful thing to give to those in need. It creates a happiness and joy that nothing compares to aside from the love of a child to their parent.

Here's my latest:
411977855.jpg

411977857.jpg

Finished these up. Really liked working with this Axis antler. (Except the smell)
I think I enjoy the leather work as much or more that the knife making.
Any and all thoughts are welcome, good or bad.

Last edited:
Christams Gift that I just finished up today. 10" blade of twisted "Fossil" Damascus, textured/anodized Ti scales and screws. Finished off with clear Gun-Kote.

Now back to "real" work.....gotta make kydex for EBKs the rest of this afternoon. :)

Last edited:
Here is what was supposed to be the kith knife. I replaced the messed up guard and now am going to gift it to a fellow who has spent hours sharing how he and his dad did knives and leather. That and he keeps being given collector type hunting knives: too much detail,engraved blade and handle or just too pretty to use he says. Lol uploadfromtaptalk1450308227366.jpg

Awesome stuff Daniel! You're doing the Fowler style proud with that one.

Walt, way to stick with that blade and salvage it.

Here's what I've been doing yesterday and today: Playing around with a real cool "No Clay" hamon. Steel is W2 and I used my salts to control the heat. All 3 pics are the same blade. It's SO hard to capture all the activity in this hamon, even with 3 pics. My hat is off to the pros who can take those pictures for us.

I try to finish what I start and not be a quitter. I do not like to waste things. The old guard is going on a larger blade later. Lol
John that is unique hamon for sure. Is going to be a beauty of a knife Im betting.

Daniel that is a great progression of a beauty for a right handed person.

Here is what was supposed to be the kith knife. I replaced the messed up guard and now am going to gift it to a fellow who has spent hours sharing how he and his dad did knives and leather. That and he keeps being given collector type hunting knives: too much detail,engraved blade and handle or just too pretty to use he says. Lol View attachment 57461
Nice Job! way to plug through!

John that is absolutely amazing! I think you should forget ever using clay again and just do that!

Hamons are tricky buggers to photograph!

Almost finished! 1/4 inch thick o1 tool steel, red g10 liner, mosaic pins, burlap micarta.
3a5ee1b3a0be4ab63b4e9e57f4a6092d.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Got my wheels and built the tooling arms and work rest for grinding razors,ruff ground a razor when I got done,ready to heat treat and finish grinding.

Attachments

• IMAG0290.jpg
    IMAG0290.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG0292.jpg
    IMAG0292.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG0293.jpg
    IMAG0293.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG0294.jpg
    IMAG0294.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 90
Got my wheels and built the tooling arms and work rest for grinding razors,ruff ground a razor when I got done,ready to heat treat and finish grinding.

Is the worm screw meant to hold the razor against the wheel so it won't fly out of your hand, or is it a guide to control the depth of the hollow grind?

I'm fascinated by straight razors, but I haven't attempted to make one. Yours looks really nice.

Back