What's going on in your shop?

Discussion in 'Knife Maker Shop Talk' started by Justin Presson, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

Finished bench pics.

About 3' x 11'....super tough to drill the top...that's why my son got to do it. still need to clean it and level it back up.
    DSC01204.JPG DSC01205.JPG

Rick Otts, Sleestack, WY_Not and 2 others like this.
  2. KDX

KDX Well-Known Member

My titanium and stainless for liners showed up. Going to try a thin folder.

[​IMG]

I heat treated 4 large drop point hunters yesterday and I ground one that I had previously heat treated today. I would have liked to have done more, but it's back to work tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

beautiful grind!!

KDX likes this.
  4. Ty Adams

Ty Adams KNIFE MAKER

I should have posted this picture before. Not the best picture, but it is the only picture before sending the sheep's foot off in the mail. The desert ironwood burl was absolutely amazing.
    IMG_20170725_194759.jpg

5. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

Top notch! yes...that handle is amazing!

Ty Adams likes this.
  6. John Wilson

John Wilson Well-Known Member

Ty, that is gorgeous! Right up my alley. I love a sheepsfoot / wharncliffe blade. If it wasn't so pretty I'd say it's a heck of a good rigging knife.

Ty Adams likes this.
  7. Ty Adams

Ty Adams KNIFE MAKER

Thanks for the compliment John.
    It is going to be a daily user. My customer is a key grip for movie's and TV shows. He asked for a utility style knife.

Smallshop likes this.
  8. opaul

opaul Well-Known Member

Ty.......that's a beautiful design and classic workmanship. It sets a bar for me to achieve.
    I like the more pointy end of the sheep's foot shape. The burl is beautiful and the mosaic pins are a fine complement.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Ty Adams likes this.
  9. John Wilson

This knife couldn't be more perfect for that. It has just enough point for those rare times you need one to pierce, in his case probably lengthwise cable stripping. Gorgeous knife all around. I can't get enough of that handle.

Smallshop and Ty Adams like this.
  10. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

Made a sheath for my skinner yesterday...the second sheath I have made....still a lot to learn there...lol. DSC01236.JPG DSC01238.JPG

opaul likes this.
  11. Brad Lilly

Brad Lilly Moderator and Awards Boss

Unfortunately nothing knife related . hopefully I can change this soon. Great posts guys it's nice to see other people's work

12. Erin Burke

Erin Burke Well-Known Member

As posted over in the custom forum, I just finished this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a project a long time in the making... but I think that I've got a bit of my shop mojo back. Now I've returned to working on its big brother. We'll see how it turns out.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Erin

Rick Otts and opaul like this.
  13. Frank Niro

Frank Niro KNIFE MAKER

Looking good !

KDX likes this.
  14. KDX

KDX Well-Known Member

I'm trying a titanium liner lock flipper and just got the bearings in it. It feels pretty smooth, which is a good sign. Still a long way to go.

Rick Otts and Self Made Knives like this.
  15. John Wilson

smooth!

KDX likes this.
  16. KDX

KDX Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I was doing some heat treating yesterday and it looks like I got a little air in there. Same packet with two blades. Hopefully the one isn't damaged.

[​IMG]

17. EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS Forum Owner - Moderator

It was 44F here this morning, so I took the opportunity to hit the forging shop! The outside temp ran me out about noon....but... One billet on it's way to "W" pattern started, three billets of accordion cut mosaic flattened out and ready to sell or make blades, 4 Mosaic Damascus blades forged out and in the annealing tub, and one huge billet of Celtic Knot Mosaic ready for a second 4-way. Between the heat and all the "get ready for winter" chores, it's the first time I've been in the forging shop in almost 2 months. And Yep! It was GOOOODDDD! All I can say is "COME ON WINTER!"

[​IMG]

opaul, Smallshop and Ty Adams like this.
  18. Dennis Morland

Dennis Morland KNIFE MAKER

Ed - That is so cool!

19. JawJacker

JawJacker Well-Known Member

It would take me 2 months to do that much Ed, curious what are you using the 1/2 keg for. I have a few stacked in my shop., looking for a project.

20. Ty Adams

Ty Adams KNIFE MAKER

Only someone from Montana would look forward to winter Ed.

Smallshop likes this.