What's going on in your shop?

Jon Buescher

Well-Known Member
Built a bench for my KMG-TX whose arrival I am eagerly awaiting!!!

and I made a file guide out of .270x1” 1084

and my new wire brush arrived
 

Attachments

Bruce McLeish

Well-Known Member
Thank you Bruce. I’m getting excited about the KITH. Have some surprises for you that I think you will like.
Randy, I'm pretty pumped meownself. I just finished the final polish of the blade. Now all I have to do is put it all back together and go to the post office. I'm not gonna be able to make a sheath - I'm no leather worker yet.! You can just wrap it in canvas and put it in a closet!
 

Randy Lucius

Well-Known Member
Randy, I'm pretty pumped meownself. I just finished the final polish of the blade. Now all I have to do is put it all back together and go to the post office. I'm not gonna be able to make a sheath - I'm no leather worker yet.! You can just wrap it in canvas and put it in a closet!
No problem Bruce. Leatherwork isn't my strong point either. I really need to learn a lot more. My problem is I have someone who makes great sheaths cheaper than I can buy the leather for. If he cuts me off I guess I'll have to get with the program. :)
 

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
The last several days have had me dusting off the lathe and brushing up on a few things. This is what it looks like when you dust things off.

IMG_0244.jpg


I wanted to make a set of pivot collars. Something I hadn't done before. A couple years ago I took a basic lathe operation course at the local tech school. It took awhile for it come back -- and several Youtube videos. This is using the 4 jaw chuck. I found it barely runs parallel to the head stock. I did manage to get my square stick of damascus turned down round on one end.
IMG_0245.jpg

I switched back to the 3 jaw chuck which runs quite a bit truer.
The round part from the 4 jaw setup is chucked up and I am starting to knock off the edges of my blank.

IMG_0247.jpg

A little bit further along.
IMG_0248.jpg

This is a cut off tool parting off the job.
IMG_0254.jpg

One of the finished collars. The damascus will show up when I cook it in the blueing salts.
IMG_0255.jpg

The pivot head nests just right. This was nothing fancy. Just trial and error for the inside depth. The OD is .002" under the bolster hole. The outer edge of the collar got a chamfer and sanded on the lathe.
IMG_0256.jpg


And here it is mounted in the bolster. Success and it only took about 3 full days to make two of these.
IMG_0257.jpg

Edited to add the photo below.
This is the collar after a dip in Nitre Blue salts.
IMG_0271.jpg
 
Last edited:

Randy Lucius

Well-Known Member
The last several days have had me dusting off the lathe and brushing up on a few things. This is what it looks like when you dust things off.

View attachment 71032


I wanted to make a set of pivot collars. Something I hadn't done before. A couple years ago I took a basic lathe operation course at the local tech school. It took awhile for it come back -- and several Youtube videos. This is using the 4 jaw chuck. I found it barely runs parallel to the head stock. I did manage to get my square stick of damascus turned down round on one end.
View attachment 71033

I switched back to the 3 jaw chuck which runs quite a bit truer.
The round part from the 4 jaw setup is chucked up and I am starting to knock off the edges of my blank.

View attachment 71035

A little bit further along.
View attachment 71036

This is a cut off tool parting off the job.
View attachment 71034

One of the finished collars. The damascus will show up when I cook it in the blueing salts.
View attachment 71037

The pivot head nests just right. This was nothing fancy. Just trial and error for the inside depth. The OD is .002" under the bolster hole. The outer edge of the collar got a chamfer and sanded on the lathe.
View attachment 71038


And here it is mounted in the bolster. Success and it only took about 3 full days to make two of these.
View attachment 71039
That's what usually happens to me. A week's labor and $10,000.00 to make a 3 dollar part but it fits beautifully. That's an awesome job and way above my skill level.
 

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Tried some Oxynate 7 bluing salts.
The colors came out but only barely. This was likely my fault. I need to practice with these salts a bit more.

IMG_0264.jpg

I sanded off that finish and went to the Nitre Blue Salts and got much better results.
This is san-mai piece with lot's of nickle powder and foil. The metals were mild, A2, 01 with a 1084 core.
IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Lot's more work to do on this one but it's coming along.
IMG_0275.jpgIMG_0277.jpg
 

Attachments

Top