what is your EDC knife?

John Wilson

How come no one carries one they made? Interesting, huh?
That's a great point, and the reason I finally started making folders. A long time ago, somebody made the point that as a knifemaker it doesn't really say much if the guy who makes knives doesn't carry his own. Well, that stung a little bit. But the reality is that a whole lot of makers, being normal people, feel a bit odd carrying a big hunting knife or a bowie everywhere they go if that's what they make.

Before I made folders I carried one of my favorite little knives that I sell, which is a shameless near-copy of Murray Carter's "Perfect Neck Knife". I didn't exactly rip him off, though. He sells a book with patterns in the back so I used his pattern and tweaked it. And honestly, it's the perfect little EDC fixed blade in my opinion. A lot of people aren't into neck knives, though, so I started making leather sheaths for them. It's still my go-to where real work is concerned because fishing in your pocket 99 times a day with grubby hands sucks and I seriously hate pocket clips. A belt knife is so much better suited to real work.

Alden Cole

I carry one of my own knives patterned off of (but not really resembling) Murray Carter's Classic Necker on my belt. Used it to skin my first buck a couple weeks ago! I mainly stick around my own place, so I don't have to worry about people looking at me funny for wearing a belt knife. I used to carry a little Leatherman, after that an old Buck 304 or something of that sort, but I seem to have a problem with losing folders out of my pocket so I enjoy the fixed blade. Sometime I'll have to make myself a folder for when I need a less conspicuous knife. I believe that if you make knives, at least those that you sell to other people as EDC's you should carry them yourself, at least some of the time.

tkroenlein

That's a great point, and the reason I finally started making folders. A long time ago, somebody made the point that as a knifemaker it doesn't really say much if the guy who makes knives doesn't carry his own. Well, that stung a little bit. But the reality is that a whole lot of makers, being normal people, feel a bit odd carrying a big hunting knife or a bowie everywhere they go if that's what they make.

Before I made folders I carried one of my favorite little knives that I sell, which is a shameless near-copy of Murray Carter's "Perfect Neck Knife". I didn't exactly rip him off, though. He sells a book with patterns in the back so I used his pattern and tweaked it. And honestly, it's the perfect little EDC fixed blade in my opinion. A lot of people aren't into neck knives, though, so I started making leather sheaths for them. It's still my go-to where real work is concerned because fishing in your pocket 99 times a day with grubby hands sucks and I seriously hate pocket clips. A belt knife is so much better suited to real work.
Amen for the belt knafs!