What is a good all around oil to use on knives?

my understanding is that olive oil can go rancid. A different choice is walnut oil , it doesn't.
I'll check it out. What I do with the Olive oil is put it on and then basically wipe almost all of it off. My carbon steel knives have developed a nice patina sans rust. But that does make sense.

Watch what you put that stuff on, years ago I was at a knife show and a guy had a table hawking Ballistol as the 8th wonder of the world.
he convinced a maker to try it on his satin finished micarta handles, quite a few people agreed it turned that handle from nice to crappy looking
in mere seconds. he made that guy buy that knife.
Personally...I don't care for the way it smells and after having a can in my shop for years I finally threw it out because I couldn't stand the smell any longer.
If there was nothing else available I'd use it but man does it got it's own kind of stench.

I use wd40 lcti... In my testing it's one of the best
i-GHQ5Zp9-X2.jpg

WD40 only has 2 uses, in this order:
1) spray on fishing lures (it works!)
And when nothing else is available,
2) cutting lubricant on aluminum
Other than those uses, I never spray it on any machined surface.

spray on fishing lures (it works!)
But I would humbly ask all who do this to pause a moment and think long and hard about the potential negative environmental impacts before doing this.
How many of us would add something like this to their livestock feed before butchering?
(mods can delete if you feel this is an inappropriate comment.)

Last edited:
But I would humbly ask all who do this to pause a moment and think long and hard about the potential negative environmental impacts for the environment before doing this again.
How many of us would add something like this to their livestock feed before butchering?
(mods can delete if you feel this is an inappropriate comment.)
That's a great comment! No feathers ruffled here.

Back