Whadda ya mean homemade!!!???

Sean Cochran

I EDC one of my own knives (a wharnie splipjoint). Today I was showing it to a couple of drivers and one them said "...you can hardly tell thats a homemade knife" HOMEMADE!!:eek::mad: I dont know maybe its just me but that just makes it sound so cheap, I let him know, in the kindest way I could, that it is made with quality steel (ATS34 Rc 60) and the amount of time I had in its construction. Granted Im not a Davison or Coats, but I ain't too shabby IMHO;).

Anyway it just rubbed me the wrong way I guess. Anyone ever have any similar experiences?

Sean

This falls into the same category of information that I posted a thread about on another forum.
The majority of folks don’t have a clue what a custom knife is! They understand the concept of a custom car, or a custom gun, but when it comes to buying a knife.
Well lets just say he’s the one leaning over the counter, toothpick hanging out of his mouth, galking at the rows of crap they call knives at Walmart, saying, “duh that’s the cheapest one you got”? :eek:
Makes it darn hard to make a little pocket change for us chumps that put the best of our knowledge, and effort into each and every knife we build for the least amount of money, just because we love to build them.
Just refer to my signature at the bottom when dealing with folks like that and remember “people are crazy”!2thumbs

I prefer "hand made" to "home made". :D Amazing how changing words up just a bit will affect connotation.

It reminds me of a story I heard in a documentary. The film is "Murder Ball" and is about quadraplegic rugby which is basically full contact football in wheel-chairs. These guys are amazing athletes. Anyway, they were on their way to the Paralympic games to compete for the olympic title, and a lady came up to one of the athletes in the airport and said, "Oh...you all must be with the Special Olympics!"

Now, the lady meant well, but the player was pissed afterwards. He said, "you know, in one second I went from being an olympic athlete to a f***ing retard."

Symantics are just that, but they really can change perceptions and bruise egos.

--nathan

Dealing with people's misconceptions is a never ending... and frustrating endeavor.:bud:

Even for some folks you'd expect to be more informed. One of my welding instructors asked me to sharpen one of his knives the other day. It is, interestingly enough, a custom knife made by another local maker.

As I was leaving he said, "Well I know you've got all that fancy automated equipment..."

When I brought it back in the next day and shaved hair off my arm and sliced a tool flier in half, he asked what sorts of machinery I used to accomplish this.

He almost seemed irritated when I told him, "An India stone, a ceramic stone, and a diamond stone." :)

Often acquaintances know I make knives, but have never seen any of them. They always seem pretty shocked when I show them my portfolio. My standard response is, "You were expecting my "knives" (insert air quotes) to be sharpened butter knives with duct-tape handles, weren't you???":D

One day my cousin was talking about my "homemade" knives. And yes, I had to straighten him out. I feel like "homemade" belongs at the flea market. Handmade is what I am shooting for.

Paul

I'm still at the stage where I am tickled pink when someone says, "Hey, that there's a knife, ain't it?"

Be proud of your work. Don't get all twisted up or waste your time trying to make converts out of the knuckle-heads that shop by price alone. You'll make yourself crazy trying to reason with thier Wal-*art menatlity, they just don't get it. Those guys think a custom car is jacked up with air shocks, a set of Cragers, some glass packs, and chrome valve covers. To them a custom knife has thier name engraved on it. I have been in the construction business my whole life fighting the price vs. quality game, they either want quality or want cheap but you CAN NOT have both. OK, I'm gettin' of my soap box now. Just my 2 cents worth.:D

Don't be offended, some peoples vocabularies are limited to homemade and store bought. Nothing to be ashamed of on your part at all.

I always like to tell folks that "Homemade" is better left to cookies and cakes. But if I can interest you in a "Custom Hand Made Knife" then step right this way!

God Bless
Mike

Well as long as someone take intrest in the knife it is easier to explain to them what homemade ie cookies, cakes ect.............. to a custome handmade knife is. Teaching people that is half the battle.

I have a couple craft hobbies with knife making being the newest. My goal for each of them is to make the transition from home made to custom hand crafted.

Eric

Take it from where it comes.
Most of these types have a 440b offshore pos in their pocket.

Can't fix stupid.

That's sure right!

I was taking a smoke break outside HQ while talking knives with some of my pals when an office worker approached us. He informed me he was starting up a charity and was looking for donation articles for auction.

This guy had NO CLUE. I was interested as he said he heard I make "homemade" knives and would like to have one for his auction. So far, that was acceptable, until he said perhaps it would even bring 30 or 40 bucks. :eek::mad:

My pals jumped on his case before I could even open his mouth. I just walked away and let them educate him as to work involved and value of custom knives. From what I heard later, they informed him he had just insulted me by his remark.

I expected to hear from him again, but didn't. I have done charity knife work before that and afterwards, but without being insulted by ignorant remarks.

I haven't had people call mines homemade, but I have had people making jokes about me being a knifemaker along the lines of "Don't stab somebody." Freaking annoying as hell. I'm making strict utility and working knives atm..I don't even know how to make one for combat or tactical use. :mad:

Back