Web page

JAWilliams

KNIFEMAKER
I know alot of you have web sites. Do you recomend getting one early or wait till business gets going good? Strange questions but just wondering.

I have had pretty good luck doing my own with Yahoo... If you want to grow your knife making as a business, you need a website!

Get one ASAP and try to maintain it. It's better to have one without ad's and try to keep it as clean as possible. When I go to a site that hasn't been updated in 6 months, I lose interest fast, it's also very annoying to see those little ad's at the top and bottom of the page.

What do you want to accomplish on your site?
Plan in advance, everything takes much longer than you first think & like doing a remodel on your house costs more too!

fmg

Listen to Les! Websites are a huge portion of most makers business these days. Getting one as soon as possible it the best bet...its gona take a year or so for it to get known, and the tidbit about keeping it updated and fresh is a must!

I personally think that if at all possible, a knifemaker should build/maintain their own site(s). Before you swoon, think about this way. Nobody knows better how to present you, than YOU. Most web design outfits seem to have this "selling lust" as their first rule. They want to sell, sell, sell, and cram it down the vistiors' throats. If thats how you want to be viewed, then have someone else build/maintain your site. Its always so obvious to me when I visit a Maker's site, whether they actually had a had in it, or someone else has the reins. Selling a knife is just as much about selling a little piece of yourself as it is the knife. Having a website that is fresh, friendly, and personable makes folks feel more at ease and lets them get to know not only your knives, but the person behind them too.

I just wanted to throw this out there. My bride built my website using officelive.com. It was free except for the 15 dollar domain registration. It has templates and helps walk you through the sites. It works well for us, my wife has never attempted anything like that and I think it looks great, of course I'm probably bias. It has email, shows site usage, and has only been down once since I got it, and they emailed me to let me know before hand that it was going to be down for maintenance.
my web site is www.minchewknives.com check it out and see what you get for 15 bucks.

Thanks guys. Little bit of a leap but I know it has to be. Thanks for all the great words of wisdom and for your time. MO I do remember when you did your site. You know the FOS will be mine.2thumbs

Back