utilitarian knife

Squawsach

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a request for a Pig Zipper style of knife. The customer wanted to keep it simple, utilitarian, and sturdy. I kept things simple and left out jimping, file work, mosaic pins, and a high grit finish. I used 3/16" O1 tool steel for the blade, finished to 400 grit, and black/red linen micarta for the handle. It has eleven 3/32" pins and a 7/32" thong hole. Some may think the 11 pins are a little fancy. I don't. I just tend to use a bunch of little pins when making knives. I really like the way this knife turned out. I usually like a little more bling on a knife but this one is kind of elegant in it's simplicity and it feels great in the hand.

plainjane001.jpg

Very nice looking work. It's a very clean design which you have executed extremely well.

I think it's great that each pair of pins "leans" back a little to match the curve of the handle. It looks really good that way 2thumbs REALLY nice plunge, too.

Last edited:
Gary, I like that one a lot. I'm in the crowd that thinks the small pins are fancy, but I really like the way they look. They kind of class it up a bit over one with a couple of larger pins.

Fancy knives are nice to look at but I like simpler knives for carrying and using.

I like it!
SDS

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I made the first Pig Zipper knife for myself a few years ago to use when I hog hunt. It is now the only fixed blade knife I carry in the field when I hunt. It has been a good design for those those hogs.

005_5.jpg

Back