Time to introduce myself

dkaschner

Hi guys,

My name is Dan Kaschner and I live in Eagan, Minnesota a suburb of Minneapolis/St. Paul. I guess it is about time to formally introduce myself. I have been posting from time to time, but waiting to actually introduce myself as I am not making as many knifes as I would like to at this time. In addition to bladesmithing I enjoy blacksmithing, being a member of the Guild of Metalsmiths here in Minnesota I help teach our Intro course every year for new blacksmiths.

Although I have 3 sons, a stepdaughter and stepson, my wife Vicky and I are all alone in a big house. Everyone is getting older and moved out on their own. That being the case, I am in the process (seems to be a long one) of building a smithy in the garage. We live in a suburb and I have some close neighbors and a Homeowner's Association to deal with. So I have walled off the third stall of the garage for my smithy (10' x 20' x 10' ceiling). Of course, we still can't park the SUVs in the garage as it is full of knife steel, a 33 lb. Anyang and other bladesmithing stuff waiting to find a home.

I feel fortunate in that I have a very understanding and supportive wife. She lets me get lots of fun stuff. Of course, now I have to find a home for it all and put it on wheels because the smithy is pretty small. Right now I am relining my forge, making everything moveable and getting it moved into the smithy. Also, this weekend my friend and I are piping in natural gas to heat the smithy and run my blown forge and heat treating equipment. That will be a big step that I am really looking forward to...2thumbs

In case anyone is interested here is a list of the cool tools I currently have at my disposal.

* 24 ton hydraulic press, built by Ron Claiborne.
* Variable speed, 2hp. KMG grinder, with 10", 12", rotary platen, Mapp Arm and other goodies.
* 33 lb. Anyang power hammer
* Beaumont disk grinder (horizontal disk setup right now)
* Old World anvil - 260lbs. and various post vises
* basics - Lincoln 255 MIG, floor standing drill press, plasma cutter

Anyway, sorry to go on so long. Gotta tell ya, I am so happy to be here and able to learn from the huge wealth of bladesmithing knowledge here, that is shared so easily among the members.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and allowing me to be a part of this community. I am looking forward participating and helping in any way I can.

Dan Kaschner

Hey guys,

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to spending a lot of time here. Seems like a great group. :)

Back