The Newell .45 cal front loader

The pistol finally arrived by Registered Mail. It took about 10 days but its here safe and sound.
Ken has an eye for artwork and did a fantastic job on both the bowie and the pistol. Here is some quick and dirty shots before I do any refinements on the finish and background. The black background in these shots is blackened with paint but the final finish should bring out that and the gold better too. There are gold borders around most everything but my favorite areas are the back strap and the sides that surround the grips. Boy I need to be careful fitting the stag to this. More prayers needed for that.

This is my first pistol and therefore the first one I've had engraved and didnt know what to expect but the more I look at it the more impressed I am with the overall scheme from Ken. At the muzzle there is no engraving at all, further back there is an eagle head that turns into a semi schroll and the 3 full barrel flats have deep cut scroll/leafs without shading but the real high detailed leafs are on the frame sides and the climax is the on the back strap. They have the background removed and gold borders with very much details. The back strap is amazing!

Thanks Ken! I love it!

I plan to post some pics of the grip fitting coming soon too.

101_6087_edited.jpg

101_6089_edited.jpg

101_6091_edited.jpg

Last edited:
I had time to work on the grips today. These wooden ones are temperary and make a good pattern to get the stag grips close and also show me the contouring.

101_6094_edited.jpg

101_6095_edited.jpg

101_6096_edited.jpg

101_6097_edited.jpg

101_6098_edited.jpg

101_6100_edited.jpg

101_6101_edited.jpg

101_6102_edited.jpg

101_6105_edited.jpg

101_6107_edited.jpg

101_6108_edited.jpg

101_6111_edited.jpg

Ive seen pretty much all of your gun work over the years,,.. I really do believe that this one will rank in my top 3 . Just exceptional work Mr B

Hi guys --- I'd like to thank you for your kind words re. the engraving. I would also like to advise that the pictures do, not do justice to the workmanship of Mr. Bruce !

I used certain motifs & similar banknote scroll on both knife and pistol so that the two would match. Also used a stylized fed. eagle borrowed from an old US document to lend a true flavor to the pistol --- found on the sides of bbl.

good job, i want to make one :D
:bud:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Just Wow! I am awstruckin and pretty much speachless!!! Bruce and Ken you guys are an awsome team!! That is one of the nicest hand made pieces I have seen. Can't wait to see her all finished up.

Back