The Newell .45 cal front loader

Today I finished the hammer. Whats that? Yes 32 hours spent on the hammer!
I also put a stronger mainspring and did some sanding on the frame. Next comes the trigger and trigger return spring and after that the trigger guard. I still need to figure out the sights. I want an adjustable rear sight. Probally a spade type front sight.

101_4965_edited.jpg

101_4966_edited.jpg

101_4968_edited.jpg

101_4970_edited.jpg

101_4972_edited.jpg

This is coming along beautifully! Only 32 hours on the hammer? ;) Love your attention to detail and the little subtle things you do that really makes your work stand out. Little things like the scalloped edge on the hammer guard are just fantastic. Really glad you're letting us watch you and your craft. Honestly, I feel honored to be one of the many "flies on your wall!"

Yeah, with 32 hrs in the hammer, I feel a bit better about spending extra time on final touches too. ;) Bruce it's really an honor to get to watch you work! Thanks for sharing.

I really appreciate this Bruce, especially knowing how much time you put in. It gets frustrating when you takes a long time to do something thinking that it is just you and that the others do it in a fraction of the time.

Of course even if I spent 32 hours on something it would still look like crap. ;)

Thanks for sharing.

Patrice

Today I made the trigger return bushing and push rod. It works for now but should have a stronger spring later. Also drawing out the trigger guard and found I need to make a trip for the bronze.

101_4973_edited.jpg

101_4975_edited.jpg

101_4978_edited.jpg

You know what strikes me, I remember reading a post a while back where a knife maker (I wont name him) was bragging about how quickly he could make a knife. 32 hours on just the hammer, Bruce that is why your work is so sought after. You are a true artist.
Now get back to work, I want to see a pic of smoke coming out of that barrell.:)

Sean

I don't know who you're referring to Sean, but I do know makers who seem to think speed is the primary value of their work. I'm with you and others here - taking one's time is where it's at, even if that reduces your hourly rate.

I work for John Deere. The other day my coworkers celebrated my 20 yrs with the company. I was honored when my boss said that my work there exemplifies a saying of the company's founder, "I will put my name on no product that does not have the best of me in it." Or something like that. Anyway, that's the same sentiment that Bruce exhibits in his work, and that we all appreciate so much. Doing that is worthwhile.

You two are making my head swell now. I dont count the time I spend thinking about this stuff. It drives my wife crazy because all our conversations end in the word "knife or gun"

Back on the trigger guard today. I drilled a big hole and a series of smaller holes and finally went to a small hack saw to remove the bulk of the steel. I know I could have just used the bandsaw but I want to do things the hard way by leaving the metal on all the way around the hole. I have a 1/4 hp foredom that hogs off steel and then to the oscillating drum sander to make thing square. Its getting there.
I'm using 1018 instead of bronze because the bowie guard will be 1018 so the gun guard should be 1018. There will be bronze bolsters on both the bowie and the gun.

101_4981.jpg

101_4983_edited.jpg

101_4985_edited.jpg

101_4988_edited.jpg

101_4991_edited.jpg

101_4992.jpg

101_4993_edited.jpg

101_4994_edited.jpg

Last edited:
I tweaked (squeezed it in the vice) the guard into shape and bent the trigger to better match the inside contour of it. I milled out material for the trigger and hand filed the hole square. I sanded the underside of the frame and have the guard almost matched to it now. After it is fitted perfectly I need to temperarily glue it in place and drill through and tap the frame for the mounting screws.

101_5012_edited.jpg

101_5013_edited.jpg

101_5014_edited.jpg

101_5015_edited.jpg

101_5016_edited.jpg

101_5018_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin Sweet Bruce!! Your craftsmanship is second to none! So when am I comming over for a lesson?? LOL! Keep up the good work buddy!

Back