The BULLDOG WIP by Steve Janik (page 1)

Forgive me but I am new to knife making. How do you "attach" the detent ball? I know you had to redrill the hole and then you had your brass rod to set it. Did you epoxy it in or what? Again please forgive me if it is a stupid question.

Dear Mike,
That is a great question and one that I also asked when I started.
The detent ball is 1/16th or .0625 and I drill a .052 or .055 hole depending on the hardness of the liner and press the ball into it. The reason I use a brass pin is that the end of the brass will also get a detent in it and will stop the ball from going in the lock bar flush should you give it too good a whack.

You can also set the ball by using a .025 thick feeler gauge with a .0635 hole in it and use it as a washer around the ball. Then tap the ball in until it is flush with the gauge and you should be set with the proper height.

Either way, it will stick fine without any adhesive.

Never a bad idea to have a few 3/32 balls around in case you goof up the 1/16. You can always move up a size and redo it.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Just got mine! psyched to make it happen!
One question though: Is the blade heat treated? It doesn't say anything about it in the description.

i came across the kit on USA Knifemakers.
its a sweet kit,great wip Steve.
gonna get me 1 of these

This WIP left me hanging! It's sweet but what about the "To Do List"?

"Here's my to-do list to properly finish this one up.
1. Final sand and heat treat blade.
2. Final sand and radius edges of the frames.
3. Clean up and sand the clip.
4. Counter bore and replace the screws.
5. Final fit the lock.
6. Sharpen blade."

Most of it is simple but I'd like to know the best Heat Treatment Recipe as well as IN-DEPTH how to final fit the lock. I'm curious as to how one designs the angles the fit comes together so as to compensate for warn Titanium (as that side of the lock will wear faster than the steel...even though it is quite durable).

I'm getting two of these in the mail soon along with a replacement blade to get creative with...I've got access to a full machine shop so this should be great.

One customization I'd like to try is to upgrade the detent ball to a working/rolling ball bearing. I'd drill the hole exactly the same diameter as the bearing...but set the depth so it sits on the hemispherical bottom then counter-bore it and press the other half (top) of the mini-bearing housing in to keep it spinning freely as well as from coming out.

Thanks for this. I'm in Australia and our customs dept has recently decided that any knife that can be opened in any way using only one hand is a flick knife and now banned from import. The stupid thing is these knives are perfectly legal to own in every jurisdiction in the country. Being able to make my own thumb opening folder will ensure I'll always have one when I want it. It's got me thinking I may be able to sell a few as well. Thanks again.

Steve,
Just wanted to take a moment and commend you on a fabulous WIP! Being able to build one of these without the use of expensive machines and even more expensive skill/knowledge in the operation of those machines, is an incredible touch to it all! There is so much that I learned here, and that's just from reading it! I'll be placing an order for one of these or at least something close to it, very soon, heck I might even attempt a design of my own and use the basic instructions you've laid out here! Oh and would you mind FINISHING IT!?!?!? PLEASE!!!! Pics aren't necessary, just the important stuff, AND the way YOU do it, keeping to the basic shop equipment is AWESOME!!! You know, stuff like the way you do the angles for the lock-up! Either way, you've done a great job here! THANK YOU, for all the work you put into it~! Rex

no -- and i'm the guy that decides. I will put it back on my project list.

Boss, how long is the list? How often should we check back with you on this one? :)

This is going to be my entry to making folders. Sorry for the inpatience. I want to get a few for myself and another few for my friends for sure.

Jerome

Back