"The Alaskan" - WIP

This brings us to where I am this morning:

Alaskan-p9-1.jpg

Alaskan-p8-1.jpg

Now it's a bunch of time cleaning up all the grinding marks and straightening up the facets on the hardware.
As well, I will be going to the lathe and making the official finial.
Be back later today. :biggrin:

I had a question from the new owner of this knife so I find myself on the computer again.
Might as well toss up a few more pictures:

Get some stainless out to make the finial:

Alaskan-q3-1.jpg

The, I got distracted and had to do some refinement.
My sanding station for cleaning up the fitting facets:

Alaskan-q4-1.jpg

The guard cleaned up. I like how "jeweling" the facets makes them jump in the light:

Alaskan-q6-1.jpg

Assembled:

Alaskan-q7-1.jpg

Got to get this finial made:

Alaskan-q8-1.jpg

That doesn't look right!!

Alaskan-q9-1.jpg

That's better:

Alaskan-r1-1.jpg

Try it on the knife:

Alaskan-r2-1.jpg

I do place the tightening hole so it can't be seen from the sides when it's tight.

Alaskan-r3-1.jpg

Alaskan-r4-1.jpg

Polished the facet on the butt cap and finished off the other two sides:

Alaskan-r7-1.jpg

Alaskan-r8-1.jpg

Alaskan-r9-1.jpg

Alaskan-s1-1.jpg

Alaskan-s2-1.jpg

What grit and type of belt. I got your Octo Bowie at the blade show this year and have studied the guard and all the lines on the jeweled parts seem to be straight and dont look like they were made on the belt sander they look like the were hand sanded like you would on the blade for a satin finish. I just know it adds alot of class to the guard and butt cap.

That was a pretty special knife! Glad you enjoy it.
Seriously, I just use whatever is handy - like a semi used 120 or even an A45 Gator - whatever is handy.
Then I take it to the work station like in the picture and start with a sanding block and straighten it out with a 220, then final shaping with 400.
Then progressively work up through 800-1200-2000.
Then I buff the facets green and pink.
Then hand sand the adjoining flats up through 800.
When you look at that butt cap, consider that I have a good hour and probably more in just making the facet presentable.
I didn't say it was easy and quick. :3:

I got your Octo Bowie at the blade show this year and have studied the guard and all the lines on the jeweled parts seem to be straight and dont look like they were made on the belt sander they look like the were hand sanded like you would on the blade for a satin finish. I just know it adds alot of class to the guard and butt cap.

This one??

[video=youtube;f9Zv6dnlri4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Zv6dnlri4[/video]

Yes this one. I love it. I did not plan on picking up a knife this year. I went for supplies ,a leather sewing machine, and to get my signatures for the Knife Makers Guild but I saw it and could not pass it up. I am working on a sheath for it but have not decided on what it should look like.

Last edited:
Here's the "Alaskan" all dressed up and ready to party:

A W2 Bowie at 10 1/4" with some northern California stabilized feather walnut and faceted and selectively polished take-down 416 fittings.
15 1/2" overall.
Hope ya'll have a great Thanksgiving.

DanCain1-a.jpg

DanCain2-b.jpg

DanCain3-a.jpg

love the whole wip,now just wish i had a mill for the guards like you did. Great knife!!!!!!!! and clearly great attention to detail way to go.

Karl, to paraphrase Pauk Vitti, you're good, no, youre better than good! you're very good!
great and detailed WIPm and the knife too of course!
thanks for doing this

Back