Sub Hilt fund raiser WIP

Okay I admit it - I almost laughed out loud when I saw that clamp-up rig! There's so much going on there it reminds me of one of those Rube Goldberg drawings in Mad magazine when I was a kid. :D

But looking at it I see that you have all the angles covered. I always struggle to get a tight fit against the bolster, and this looks like a great approach. But now I wonder how you're going to drill the other scale. I guess we're going to see that too. Cool beans Bruce.

Thats my Frankenstien clamp I use for daggers. It works pretty good to close the gaps at the guard. Usually I put the knife in a 6" tool makers vice but because this sub hilt add too much length I had to use this contraption. Basically I like to clamp the handle on and then wick super glut around the edges. I dont use epoxy but if I did I would need to add color to it to match the red fiber liners. I'd like to figure a way to add color to superglue because even though its only about .001" thick it still appears black.

I knew you use superglue to attach the liners, and I started doing that when you mentioned it once before. It's saved me countless hours of waiting. I guess this is kind of a moot point, but I've had some concern whether the super glue bond will last as long as epoxy.

My more legitimate concern of course, is that colored epoxy makes up for a lot of slackness in fit and finish. (Did I just say that?! :D) Your careful work raises the bar for me every day. Thank you, that's the most valuable kind of example.

I glued the other side scales on today and jigged it up so I could drill straight down. The only level places are between the hilts and the ricasso so I had to go by them when clamping it down in the drill press (table top mill). I used feeler gauges to shim under the stag, You'll see here.

Oh here is the wooden knife and now its on the way to Paul Long for the sheath.

101_4553.jpg

101_4555_edited.jpg

101_4556_edited.jpg

101_4559_edited.jpg

101_4562_edited.jpg

101_4563_edited.jpg

101_4565_edited.jpg

101_4568_edited.jpg

Bruce, that's just not turning out near as nice as I thought it would. :( I think you should probably just go ahead and finish it up (builds character, you know), and ship it to me so I can dispose of it properly. Then you can get busy building a real raffle knife to give away to everyone who bought tickets. Because I'm such a nice guy, I'll even pay shipping costs (overnight...insured). ;).

It's lookin' great, Bruce! Can't wait until the drawing!! My fingers have been crossed for the last 2 weeks, and they're starting to turn purple. :D

--nathan

Last edited:
Man I know the fingers crossed part! I think I'll just forget all about it on the 6th though. Otherwise I won't get anything else done. :D

Bruce, that's just not turning out near as nice as I thought it would. :( I think you should probably just go ahead and finish it up (builds character, you know), and ship it to me so I can dispose of it properly. Then you can get busy building a real raffle knife to give away to everyone who bought tickets. Because I'm such a nice guy, I'll even pay shipping costs (overnight...insured). ;).

It's lookin' great, Bruce! Can't wait until the drawing!! My fingers have been crossed for the last 2 weeks, and they're starting to turn purple. :D

--nathan

I dont know, man I'm thinking about calling off the raffle and keeping this thing myself. :D

Nathan, if you are trying to put this in the "ugly knife category", The Ugly Knife Disposal Program was founded a few weeks back. As president of the program, I have first dibbs on all ugly knives. Sorry, you're a little late.

I dont know, man I'm thinking about calling off the raffle and keeping this thing myself. :D

Well, just be sure to send the collections on to your church for our donation! Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Actually Bruce, you could always make yourself another one. This seems to be going pretty smoothly. Not something I'm ready to try however! I'm holding out for good old basic luck to provide mine. :)

The images may be temporarily down because I maxed out my photobucket limit for the month. I signed up for a Pro Account and they will be back up asap.

Thanks so much for helping make this raffle a success everybody. Its a great feeling we all share to do something that benefits the needy especially children. Jamaica has a soft spot in our families hearts as we adopted our daughter from there. Mike and Kristi are in the process of adopting a son from there and this has been a huge role in our entire church heading up the fund raisers for the this equipment. The total costs for the equipment is $27,000 and just our knife raffle looks like its putting a huge dent in that amount. The other church members have fund raisers also and I just know that amount will be met. God is Good and rewards good stewards of his money.

We plan to draw the winning ticket on Nov. 6th at 9:00 PM pacific time. The winner will be notified by email or phone ASAP following

Bruce,

If one of my tickets is lucky enough to be drawn, don't worry about the time difference. Feel free to call any time day or night. I promise to jump for joy regardless of how sleepy I happen to be.

If you don't mind, once all is totaled up....I'd be interested in knowing how much was raised on the raffle and how much further is needed to reach your goal. I'm sure the pack could do something to help out such a worthy cause. I know Nadine and I would be willing to help out a little further if needed.

More progress. Its funny has this knife will be finished almost to the day as the drawing. Of course it will need to be engraved and the sheath will be done next week but by drawing time we will be finished.

101_4572_edited.jpg

101_4571_edited.jpg

101_4569_edited.jpg

101_4570_edited.jpg

a labour of love!
It must feel really good to be making this knife. Charity on your own terms is a great way to pay it forwardcool 1

Hey Bruce,

A few quick questions.
  1. Is it too late to send in a check?
  2. If it's not too late, what's the mailing address? and who should a check be made payable to?
  3. Is there another PayPal address (via others at your church) I could PayPal a donation to?
Thanks, Phil

Hey Phil, nice to see you here! Here's Bruce's contact info from the other thread. If you send a check be sure to notify Bruce the amount so he can put your tickets in the jar in time for the drawing. This is a great cause and a beautiful knife. We all win by getting to watch it being built.

---------------------------

Tickets are only $5 each or 5 tickets for $20

Send check or money orders to:
Bruce Bump
1103 Rex Lane
Walla Walla WA. 99362

I have been notified that I can no longer accept Paypal for raffle tickets. Please send a check to the above address and let me know that you have by email or personal message. Darn that was too good to be true I guess.

email questions:
bruceandkaye@charter.net

Cutting the bolts and lanyard tubing off and grinding them flush with the stag. Mike is using the dremel with a cratex bullet shaped abrasive tip and finally we are down to hand sanding from 400 to 2000 grit. Tomorrow it will be done (I hope)

101_4573_edited.jpg

101_4577_edited.jpg

101_4579_edited.jpg

101_4580_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Back