Sole Authorship

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hardest thing we do as human beings is communicate. What we have here, is a failure to communicate.

This is one of those questions that comes up from time to time and can go one of two ways, it can cause a nice lively debate among grown-ups or it can go to name calling like a bunch of whiny children arguing about how's dad can beat up whos.....

I think there are a lot of very human emotions and insecurities involved in the lashing out. Thus is the nature of the beast...

EVERY maker puts a lot into their knives. The guy that is posting his 2nd knife is not less invested in that knife that I am in the knife that I am making today. These emotional attachments are what make us act crazy at times. That and money. ;)

As for my .02, I offer this. I was in a natural history museum once and there was a quote on the wall that said, "if you want to make something from scratch, first you much create the entire universe."

This means that everyone starts with something. The way of the world is that everyone has to "label" their work as they see fit. Everyone is free to use whatever label they like and not be wrong, so long as they qualify what it means to them.

Simply put, be honest and straight forward with what you do and if your customer is happy with the result, then who is another maker to call foul? How can honest maker + happy customer = bad?

Beware the man that says their way is the only right way, in my opinion they probably have selfish motives and in my experience they are dangerous.

This thread will remain closed unless Tracy decides to open it again, if anyone would like to discuss it further, my phone number is 361-288-9777.

Thank you for your consideration,
Les
:bud:

I've watched this all I can stand, so I'll put my $0.02 in. The word author is defined both as "the person who originates or gives existence to anything" and that authorship determines responsibility for what is created.

That being said, everyone will look at this differently. An opinion is just that. All that matters is the end result you achieve. If you and the customer are happy with the finished product--great. If you feel that the knife was produced with sole authorship and you are comfortable saying that, claim it. I applaud the maker that produces his own damascus or steel, forges it out and does every single thing in house. I can't do it. Doubt I ever will. So I guess I have sole authorship on my knife designs, but I do farm some stuff out that I can't do here for several reasons. I still finish each knife by hand and feel good about the end result. Mr. Voorhies uses my services along with around 500 other makers. He makes some outstanding knives. I didn't make them for him. This is kinda the same thought of is it "custom" or is it "mid-tech". Who cares. My knives are custom! No two are alike. Make a fine product and disclose your processes. Just strive to do a better job each and ever time. ------Am I gonna get a "time out" for this?------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back