sherline mill

Brett Long

a friend just gave me a sherline mill. and lathe. will these be good enough to cut guard slots and handle holes in the blades. i only ask because these are very small. compared to his mill these look tiny. here are a few pics i got off of there web site.
5000pic.jpg

4400pic.jpg

Wow,nice friend.You can slot guards and such but since the machine is light and has little rigidity just go slow and you'll be OK.

Nope!!! these will never work...send them to ...:D:D:D

Cool stuff and good friend. You will have a lot of fun with those.

Scott can't be bothered with something like that, you can send them to me! :)

In all seriousness, they will work fine, just take it slow! Congrats, you suck! :)

now i just need to figure out how to use them. does anyone have tips or good books or videos that show the basics.

Brett, I have a mini mill and lathe. I can do a lot of the basic work of larger equipment but have to go really slow and can only do small pieces. They will work fine for knifemaking just slower.

By the way, excellent score.

Larry

I have a Sherline Mill. Bought it based on a recommendation from Don Hanson. I mainly only use it for slotting guards and it does a good job.

It is not the most accurate thing out there, but if you go slow, it will get the job done.

Robert

You will need to square your table on the mill to the head. Mine is off by .03 over a 9" span. I cut a piece of steel 9" long, drilled and tapped 10/32" hole for my vise, mounted the vise and put a parrallell in the vise and shimmed under one end of the piece of steel to get the parrallel square with the head. Now it's dead on.

the more you work with it the more you will learn all the little tricks needed to make it work.

Good luck!

Back