Retired and have the time to say Hi

Jeff Conti

I've been retired for a couple of years but decided to get back into knife making. I started when I was 16 (1977) when I saw a knife my dad made. What a beast of a knife. I read a book on knife making and saw Rod Chappels knife and decided to make one like it. Well, I was 16... what do you expect... it sucked. But I continued and my dad still has the boot knife I made. He loves it. Since then I've made and sold and given away a lot of knives. Right now I'm having a blast having men (friends in my church) over to my shop to design knives and they are building their own. I keep a watchful eye and help if they get in trouble. I've been using the same knife sander since 1982, a Speed Cut. I'm about to modify it to use 72 inch belts. I just purchased an electronic etcher and so am entering 21st century. For now, I checked out all the other forums and decided on this one. I'm looking forward to reading the great information and tricks of the trade. Today I watched several YouTube videos on making my own micarta. Can't wait!!

Aloha! I've been to other sites since, but KD has a certain "spirit" about it so the pack has become my source of authority on all things knifemaking. Look forward to the benefit of your experience as I've been knifemaking all of 5 weeks now :biggrin:

Jejunum

conti56-R1-038-17A.jpg

I'm not technically challenged but I am new to this forum. So, this is an attempt to upload a photo.

This knife is "Jejunum." The name is my attempt at humor. For all of you who are savy with human anatomy, you'll get it. For those of you who aren't, the Jejunum is a part of the digestive track. Since this is a fishing knife with only one scale and the other side hollow ground to facilitate the removal of fish guts, I thought the name would bring a smile and still be original. :)

The steel is 154 CM, the scale is maroon micarta and the bolster is nickel silver. The first generation knife had a blade that was rather short (about 2 1/2 inches. This blade is over 3. I still make both. Recently my daughter requested one for her kitchen. I didn't bother to tell her what Jejunum meant :)

Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to the pack Jeff. That's a dang nice looking blade you've posted and I look forward to seeing more in the future.

Back