Quench blocks

seved

I am planing on buying some quenchblocks for stainlessteel.
Is there any one that has a clever solutions on how to use them on a bench vise or simular.

Seved

I've seen people bolt them onto a one of the woodworker's vises with large flat jaws and a quick acting ratchet for closing. At least one person welded up a mount for this to set up the vise with the jaws parallel to the floor.

Hey, that's me!

I'll snap a few pictures later for you.

But in the mean time, here's one.

DSCN2425.JPG

Overview of the whole rig
IMG_0574.JPG

Closeup of it open
IMG_0576.JPG
The quick release mechanism
IMG_0575.JPG

I can do 6 knives at a time, and by the time you get 6 loaded, the 1st one is cool.

I had to do some machining on the blocks, because the vise jaws are not parallel, and parallel is exactly what we need here.

I still shimmed up the top blocks with a rubber strip on each end to make up for any out of parallel in the system.
I get dead flat parts out of these.
Very rare is the occasion when there is .002" bow in a blade.

Last edited:
Overview of the whole rig
View attachment 20228

Closeup of it open
View attachment 20226
The quick release mechanism
View attachment 20227

I can do 6 knives at a time, and by the time you get 6 loaded, the 1st one is cool.

I had to do some machining on the blocks, because the vise jaws are not parallel, and parallel is exactly what we need here.

I still shimmed up the top blocks with a rubber strip on each end to make up for any out of parallel in the system.
I get dead flat parts out of these.
Very rare is the occasion when there is .002" bow in a blade.

Looks very nice :D Thats looks realy usefull. It dont take so long to harden blades with those vises. What did you call those vises woodworker vises. I think i have seen them here in Sweden to, but i cant remember where.

You have realy made them paralell, its nice to know that they are realy flat. For how long do you quench them.

Seved

I don't know, by the time I have all 6 loaded, the 1st one is cool.
I can take it out, cut it open, check for flatness, and put it in the tempering oven

I will look for it here in Sweden, i think i have seen it here, but i dont remember were. Were did you buy yours.

Its a realy nice set up, you can harden many blades in a short time. :)

Seved

Seved have you found any suppliers of the woodworking vises yet?

I've also been olooking but havent found any in Sweden or Finland yet...

Where do you guys by those in the USA?

Jakob

Seved have you found any suppliers of the woodworking vises yet?

I've also been olooking but havent found any in Sweden or Finland yet...

Where do you guys by those in the USA?

Jakob

No :( i have looked, but cant find any. I think i will try E-bay.

Seved

Back