Press Build

I think that'll hold your 12 ton with no problem. Looking good. I see bolts in bottom, are you planning to bolt your dies in the way Coal Iron does? It didn't take me but a week or so before I changed to a quick change die holder so the dies could drop in. After a couple of passes those dies (and bolts) get so hot you can't hold even with heavy gloves.

Yes, you got the right idea, weld bottom plate on, run ram down so the top can easy be lined up to match bottom plate, then tack weld the top in place. Now you can move around, lay down, etc for best welding position.

I know you're excited to get it going. Maybe this weekend? Gotta watch Bama football Sat. The wife's family aren't "fans", they are "fanatics" on Bama football. Me, I'm barely a fan, but I do a pretty good job of pretending to keep everybody happy {g}

Won't get back to it till next week camping for the last big blow out of the Summer. Have the bench for it more or less built need to tweak the placement of the pump and such so I can order hoses and fittings but were getting close!

Attachments

• 20210828_185210.jpg
    20210828_185210.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210828_185202.jpg
    20210828_185202.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
I was wondering what program you used. I've looked at Fusion, but since it's a windoz program and doesn't work with Linux I've not really fooled with it. I've wanted Fusion because of the ability to export model in gcode for CNC work.

You have done good.

That's why I got Fusion. Super convenient to go from CAD straight into CAM and generate G code all in the same program.

It was fairly easy to learn. I did have previous CAD experience, but mostly just in SketchUp and a LITTLE in AutoDesk Inventor. I still use SketchUp to make plans and to come up with quotes. Seems to lend it's self (it's self? Itself? I'm tired) better to construction type stuff. Fusion seems to work better for mechanical stuff. I modeled my gantry crane is SketchUp, before I had Fusion. I might have to remake it in Fusion and do that stress simulation on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Perhaps my problem I've spent too many years with AutoCAD doing electrical & control schematics. I need to setup a computer with Windoz (I think I still have Win7) and do some work with Fusion. 3D work just never made good sense to me - I work in a 2D world - schematics :)

Later

Looking good, you'll be pressing before you know it. One thing, that wood table - perhaps you could cover the top of it will some sheet metal? If so that would help with the red hot scale that's going to be falling when pressing a billet.

BTW, you welds are looking pretty good. I think that frame will work just fine for a 12 ton press.

Ah, nice. I see you've really been pressing on with the build!

I really need to make one. As I right this, I'm taking a break from forming some aluminum in my homemade screw press. Puts out 15,000 pounds, but you gotta put in about 120 and for what I'm doing right now I can't use the flywheel. Gotta be by hand.

Looking good, you'll be pressing before you know it. One thing, that wood table - perhaps you could cover the top of it will some sheet metal? If so that would help with the red hot scale that's going to be falling when pressing a billet.

BTW, you welds are looking pretty good. I think that frame will work just fine for a 12 ton press.

Yeah, I'm gonna but I'm going to cut and hinge the top first so I can access the tank to fill it. Tomorrow going to HF for 3" casters they will raise bottom die to about 33". Have the list of fittings just have to get everything in place and measure hose lengths. Have an idea for foot pedal but that will be after I get it running.

Nice weldin', by the way!
36729bbd0944de666572d6920f743fc4.jpg

Getting there! Just takes practice for sure! And then when ya don't do it all the time you lose it!! LOL!!
You're completely right.

I'll be honest, I didn't burn much 6013 in the past few years. I went to try a 1/8" 6013 vertical up on a corner joint.

Looked AWFUL.

Welding IS like riding a bike. Each type of rod is a different type of bike, though.

Really - run a 6013 like a 6010 and you'll make a mess.

More done all mocked up to measure for hoses. All wired except for motor. All still needs to come apart 1 more time to seal up all the NPT fittings. Then I'm gonna fit all hoses when I get them and paint press make it look pretty! Couple more weeks I'm guessing with shipping and fitting it in?? We shall see!! Light at end of the tunnel though!!

Attachments

• 20210913_144538.jpg
    20210913_144538.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210913_144542.jpg
    20210913_144542.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210913_144547.jpg
    20210913_144547.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
Well I put the order in for all the hoses and fittings. Just need a few odds n ends, a good cleaning for paint and a 5 gallon bucket of oil!

Amazing how fast those hoses, oil, and odds 'n ends add up isn't it? Looking forward to seeing a billet pressed :)

I might've already commented this, but that's some nice lookin' lumber.

Completely irrelevant, but for what it's worth, you should ("best practice") crown your lumber. You want the peak of the curve in the end grain facing out. Example is wood decking - as the boards dry and try to cup you want the edges to go down.

Back