Press Build

Gliden07

Ok so here are the set of Drawing dies and Flatter dies I made! I made the drawing dies on a 2" Diameter vs the Coals 1" Diameter. I tried the Coals 1" Diameter and thought they were too aggressive these are better but maybe even 3" would be ok?

Attachments

• 20211004_142602.jpg
    20211004_142602.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210910_160416.jpg
    20210910_160416.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

KenH

Dies look really good. I agree the 2" drawing dies should work really good. The 1" Coal Iron drawing dies will really press - I need a kisser die to prevent squishing too much sometimes. I know you're looking forward to your first billet. BTW, your welds are looking good these days.

Gliden07

Ok so here is a list of things I used for my press build. Please note I may have overlooked some items. Also this was for my specific build so you need to do your own homework as far as bits and pieces. I did not include the bench as I had most of the items to build it except the casters. If you have any specific questions please contact me and I'll do my best to answer.

1- 31/2" Hydraulic Cyl $80 Ebay
1- 11GPM pump kit PCB11GPM0341LG Ruggedmade $170
1-Vevor 2hp 220VAC 1800RPM motor Ebay $183
1-Log splitter 2 stage valve Ruggedmade $90
5-1" Suction Hose (locally bought) $37

Below here are items from surplus Center
3- 940-2236 1/2" x36" hose
2- 9-4501-16-12 1"-3/4" elbow (hose barbs)
4- 9-2501-8-12 JIC 8MX1/2 NPTM90 Elbow
1- 9-2501-8-12 JIC 8MX3/4 NPTM90 Elbow
5- 9-2404-8-8 JIC 8MX1/2 NPTM Conn
10- 9-12496-8 Hose Sleeve for HP hoses
1- Gauge 0-4000 PSI
1- 1/2" NPT Street Tee for gauge
1- 1"50 Micron filter adapter
1- Oil filter adapter with filter
Total for above - $200

Steel (bought locally as shorts/drops)
12- 2x2x1/4" Angle Iron
2- 3x1" plate
1- 4x1" plate
1- 1/8" plate for base
These were all various lengths cut to sizes as needed by me. Some of the extra material ended up in the dies.
Total for above - $200

Electrical
1- Start Stop station Ebay $16
Below was bought locally
15' 12/3SJ cord
1- 4" Single device 3/4" plaster ring
1- 4x4x2-1/8 NW Box
3- Cord grips
1- 20A 220VAC male cord cap
Total - $45

1- Tank 5 gallon Tractor supply $79

1-5 gallon container hydraulic oil $39 Wal-Mart

Misc stuff:
545-Loctite $29
Nuts/bolts $10
Welding rod $30
Misc/Misc $40

Grand Total- $1241

Again this was for my specific build. I collected the parts for over a 6 month period. I'm sure I missed a few things. Pricing was rounded to higher dollar value. Some of the things I bought are no longer listed so I entered closest thing I could find. Also some of the parts are cheaper or more depending on source! If you decide to build one of these you will save money for sure but it takes a fair amount of time to plan and source items, do your homework!! Hydraulic components to a guy that never did this before are very specific and need to be carefully chosen for compatibility (don't ask how I know!). It was a fun project but even after all the parts were accumulated it took almost a month to put together (I'm sure an accomplished fabricator could do it a lot quicker).

KenH

A very good listing of materials - you really got heck of a deal on that 3-1/2" cylinder at $80! I never even thought about looking on ebay for a cylinder when I ordered my 4" cylinder. For well less than 1/2 price you got a true 12 ton press vs the 9 ton Coal Iron sells as a 12 ton, and learned lots in the process. You did good.

Thank you for starting the thread, and I do thank 52Ford for his modeling work on the computer showing stresses on the frame. All in all, I think we all learned from the thread.

Gliden07

A very good listing of materials - you really got heck of a deal on that 3-1/2" cylinder at $80! I never even thought about looking on ebay for a cylinder when I ordered my 4" cylinder. For well less than 1/2 price you got a true 12 ton press vs the 9 ton Coal Iron sells as a 12 ton, and learned lots in the process. You did good.

Thank you for starting the thread, and I do thank 52Ford for his modeling work on the computer showing stresses on the frame. All in all, I think we all learned from the thread.

Started doing this forum as a total newbie not knowing a thing! Guys on here were so forth coming with information glad I can make meaningful contributions once in a while! The motor is cheaper than I paid and the 11GPM kit is better than the one I bought because it comes with the motor adapter! I paid an additional 50 bucks for that piece alone!

KenH

I think for a video you have to upload to YouTube (or other video hosting site) and link to that.

KenH

Yep, it works just fine. OH, I see you posted to facebook. Yea, that's another place but I never think of them. I forget - did you make your frame 36" high? Looks like you've got plenty of room with the cylinder raised. You're going to be surprised how hot those dies get when pressing a billet, then changing the hot dies is a real treat - be careful and be sure to have an aloe vera plant close by :)

Gliden07

Yep, it works just fine. OH, I see you posted to facebook. Yea, that's another place but I never think of them. I forget - did you make your frame 36" high? Looks like you've got plenty of room with the cylinder raised. You're going to be surprised how hot those dies get when pressing a billet, then changing the hot dies is a real treat - be careful and be sure to have an aloe vera plant close by :)
2 things I think im gonna do to press dies 1) Slot the die plates similar to Coal Iron and 2) Install studs in press, if I damage stud it will be easier to remove also was going to use nuts with captured washers in them so when changing dies I won't have to worry about washers falling down. I designed the press to be able to use the full stroke of the Cylinder. The flat dies just contact each other when I fully extend Cylinder. The dies are all 1/4" mount and 1" thick die. That way I can always have close to the same "SQUISH" no matter what die I have in it and it help with strength. It's a bit slower than Coal but again after using a CI I wanted it a bit slower.

Last edited: