Pin press

Keith Willis

I was wondering,for those of you who use a pinpress,if you could post pics of the press,and maybe a pic of the press in use.
I know boss has pic somewhere..I have seen it,but can't find it anymore.
Thanks for the help guys

God bless

I don't use a pin press but I saw some pictures one time showing Enrique Pena piening pins in a big machinist vise,I tried and it worked but I haven't used that process on a slipjoint yet.

Oh ok,thanks Calvin.
Btw..I had my first real schooling on the geometry,you and I talked about...I am learning :)

God bless

here is mine2010-05-08_0382.jpg
It was two one inch bolts for the uprights. Latest version was turned one inch that will not turn and pinned in base. Made by Bill Kennedy. Harbour freight jack added.

Last edited:
I have never seen one,except in pic....I may be very wrong,I had the idea it would help me,when peening pins for slipjoints
Which I am in the vey early stages of learning...as I say I don't have a clue.Just thinking out loud??

God bless

I don't know how I missed this thread. I have been interested in a pin press for a while and have not had time to get one built. I like the idea, and have been curious how well they work.

I don't know how I missed this thread. I have been interested in a pin press for a while and have not had time to get one built. I like the idea, and have been curious how well they work.

I have wanted to build one for awhile.I know I could use it when attaching bolsters,I just had the idea that it may work
when peening pins on my slipjoints(if I can get the slipjoints figured out).Just seems to me it would give a little more
control???

Maybe someone will have some thoughts on that.

God bless

I use mine with the tapered reamer to set pins in bolsters and guards. The two dies(top and bottom) that the pins seat in are hardened d2 and are dished and polished. The action swells the pins and makes for the no circle look.
Just another way to hide the pins.

I use one for attaching bolsters rather than peening. It works OK for that and I get slightly better results (getting bolster pins to blend in perfectly) than just peening alone.

Wouldnt we need different sized dies to match the pins? I think Boss should sell an affordable pin press less the hydraulic jack but complete with polished dies in 1/16" 3/32" and 1/8" dies. He's retired now and needs a project. :biggrin: Maybe just a set of plans like the NWG.

I made a handy little press just to press my logo. A pin press could also be used for that. I also have an arbor press but its only a 3/4 ton and worthless for most everything.

Last edited:
Now you are talking Bruce..These are things I am just starting to learn(I hope I am learning something).I have only completed 1 slipjoint and
I carry it in my pocket,not much to look at,and this has been a learning experience,I hope I can look back on and
say it was all worth it :) but it has been a learning experience!!
Thanks guys

God bless

Wouldnt we need different sized dies to match the pins? I think Boss should sell an affordable pin press less the hydraulic jack but complete with polished dies in 1/16" 3/32" and 1/8" dies. He's retired now and needs a project. :biggrin: Maybe just a set of plans like the NWG.

I made a handy little press just to press my logo. A pin press could also be used for that. I also have an arbor press but its only a 3/4 ton and worthless for most everything.

I think I have two years of projects on the books, now that I don't have anything to do. I have always meant to put out some kind of small press. The interchangeable dies would be a nice touch. I will add it to the list. Look for it in 2015 or so.

I made one after seeing the approach Boss took. It has replaceable anvils, guide rods and springs to help release pressure when needed. It works very well on bolsters as long as I do my part.
RandyPin Press parts.JPGPIn Press.JPG

Back