Other Leather Goods

Thank you all for showing some fantastic leather work. I need a holster for my Ruger P85 and was going to make one out of Kydex. After seeing what y'all have done I've decided to try leather, instead. But a fella also needs some mag pouches and then, of course, a belt to hang everything on. And then you have to have a matching sheath with a new knife in it............see what ya started? I'll never have time for my ballet lessons now!!!

(Im a cowboy and on a steel horse i ride) A friend sent me this picture.

Attachments

• ATT1.jpg
    ATT1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 23
Just finished gun rig

Mike Carter did the photography on this one I just finished.
GunRig1c.jpg

GunRig1aLR.jpg

Really great gun leather Cliff.
I think the guys doing the Sass thing have done wonders for leather workers. They have got top leather workers bringing great workmanship to a area that had got neglected and sometimes forgotten.

Thanks roughcountry. Cowboy action in general has certainly done that but of the different ones NCOWS probably does more for my kind of work since they are 19th century period correct. So much of what I see in Sass is Hollywood or B Western style gun leather. None of which was worn prior to around 1920 and certainly wasn't seen on a 19th century working cowboy. I mostly glad to see some Cowboy gun leather being made in it's original form. The reason I started making it was because at the time I couldn't find any that was made correct for pre 1900. NCOWS has specific rules on their gun leather so you have to at least use gun leather styles of the earlier period even if it isn't constructed using period techniques and materials. I use linen thread and hand saddle stitching and other materials of the period. The only thing on the one pictured that is questionable is the star concho I used on it. Most original conchos were fashioned differently.

Last edited:
I would like to add this Fanny pack made by Terry Morin,aka Kid Terico.Great job Terry.Dave

kuy.jpg

I got started on leather work by needing sheaths for the knives I am learning to make, and I think I actually like the leatherwork MORE! haha...
Here are my submissions of my first couple of leather projects, all completed Saturday morning with the help of my son and 3 daughters...

Noah (age 6) was my hammer weilder for the designs on this, so he got his initials added. :D
2010-10-02%2010.05.41.jpg

2010-10-02%2010.04.56.jpg

Then the girls got jealous, so I did one of these for each of them... they did the coloring...
2010-10-03%2010.06.59_Memphis_Tennessee_US.jpg

2010-10-03%2010.07.18_Memphis_Tennessee_US.jpg

Back