Other Leather Goods

Not really fair cause I do this for a living.
But I did make this tree for myself and a customer talked me out of it.
I would have made it plain for myself.
tonyssaddle004.jpg
tonyssaddle010.jpg

Very nice.Not sure why you said it wasn't fair,quite a few of us here do it for a living.Still you do some great work.Dave:)

Thanks Dave. I just ment that I had the time to do something this big, someone paying the tab:)
Great thread, lots of great work.

I agree, it's tough taking the time and funds needed to tackle some of the bigger projects when your fulltime unless a customer is is putting up the money.Dave:)

Thanks Paul. The wade takes a little getting used to, kinda makes you scramble if a colt has a hump in his back. Sure is a nice ride outside though.

Dave, The tree was sitting in my shop while I was slowly gathering materials to cover it. Thats why the guy spotted it and talked me outta it. Now I gotta start all over.:unsure:

I've got a picture somewhere of a scroll l cut purse. It's a bit different kinda leather work not around as much these days. I'll see if I can find it and post it
Robin.

Several years ago my wife ask me to make her a purse that looked like a saddlebag. I came up with this design and have made a couple doz mostly as gifts. Some were full carved but the scroll cut ones seem to get the most attention. This one was a graduation gift for a buddys daughter.

Most of the old saddlemakers used scroll cutting to fill small areas that needed something there. My uncle got me started doing scroll work, only takes a swivel knife. Hope you guys like it. I've done a lot of knife sheaths this way.
IMG_0960-1.jpg
IMG_0955.jpg

Robin, I guess you know you are one of the few who can really do justice to that cut scroll work. That is some beautiful and balanced work. It kind of reminds me of that other old master Ray Pohja (sp).

Paul

Thanks Paul,I don't know how long my hand will stay steady enough to do it. Do you know anyplace where I could see Rays work?
My uncle showed me some small scraps with work that Jim Donaldson had done. He was a boss on a lineman crew and would doodle on scraps with a swivel knife. He had cut birds in flight, very cool and the best I've ever seen.
Robin

Robin, He used to have some Doodle pages for Tandy, but that was years ago, and I have seen his actual belts at Clint Orms silver Smith shop here in Ingram, Texas, and further I saw a lot of his work when visiting with Bob Dellis (now deceased). He and Ray were room mates back in the day when they both tooled for I believe Porter saddles. Ray was a hell of a hand with that swivel knife as was Bob.

You might visit the web site Leatherworker.net and throw out a few questions there and get a fresh lead on Ray.

Paul

Here are some pics of other leather goods I have made

A belt for concealed carry

blackbelt1.jpg

A dog collar

chumlicollar2.jpg

Some of the wallets I recently completed.

Wallets1.jpg

WalletOpen.jpg

Looks like shark.

"needing a new wallet in the worst way" extremely jealous of the machine brother. :sad:

I use a lot of leather every day. I make archery slings for a living.I have a 15 ton leather clicker that I punch my leather with .here is a picture.the leather attaches to the bow. the rest is paracord.
slings_021600_x_451.jpg

I use a lot of leather every day. I make archery slings for a living.I have a 15 ton leather clicker that I punch my leather with .here is a picture.the leather attaches to the bow. the rest is paracord.
slings_021600_x_451.jpg

Man, I need a job like that :) Then I could move out there and bug you!!

In Cowboy Action Shooting they have a new group called the "Wild Bunch" based on the movie of the same name.Shooters must shoot a 1911 and dress as characters in the movie.I just finished this holster for a 1911 using hair on cowhide for the collar and inlay.Dave

furholster.jpg

Dave, those are gorgeous!

Here's a saddle bag style computer bag I did for myself ---- way too much work handstiching. I need to buy an Artisan!

100_3770.jpg

100_3786.jpg

Here's another, the first one I tried:

100_3543-1.jpg

man that's really nice. i have seen similar things sell for several hundred dollars. you should make more!!!! again that's one hell of bag!!!

Back