OFFICIAL FIRST KNIFE PICTURE THREAD...

My first try, and it kinda looks like the last one.

firstknife.jpg

First knife

This was my first knife,made from an old black diamond file,whitetail antler.From a small 9 point buck I took one year, and a brass washer. That was around 20 years ago.used hand tools to make it,I remember it took me about 2 weeks to finish.It works ,and has field dressed several deer. Its a keeper! View attachment 4665

Last edited:
My very FIRST knives I made were crappy little things made of mild steel and shaped nearly entirely with an old belt grinder with a bad belt on it. I don't have any pictures of those :p. My first knife I ever finished it this one from February 2009, but to be fair, I had a ton of help from Tai Goo

55m3aq.jpg

~Noah

Here is my first knife. I just finished it in December and it was a Christmas gift to my Step Father.

Blade: 440C Stainless
Scales: Madrone Finished in Tung Oil

Attachments

• DSC01395.jpg
    DSC01395.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 71
LMBOff!!!! Hey Mike, I'd have never guessed that Gil had inspired that knife! ;~)

Great first knives guys. Having mentors and the resources of sites like on the dog here really shows in the work you guys turned out right out of the box.

Very COOL!

Here's my first attempts.

The one on the right is my first and was made from an old lawnmower blade, Cholla cactus, moose antler and Walnut.

My second one, on the left, has a blade that was forged for me by a local blacksmith from what he described as "Sweedish Sandvik steel". It sports a handle of Cholla cactus, moose antler and Lignum Vitae, with silica-bronze fittings. This one has a rather awkwardly shaped tang/blade junction which resulted in the angled bolster. I still use this one as my bushcraft beater and while the handle isn't very ergonomic, it has stood up well.

#1 on right, #2 on left
dsc02683pb7.jpg

And..... this is my latest finished last night!!
possumlodge040.jpg

possumlodge041.jpg

christmas2009021.jpg

Last edited:
I'm kind of embarrassed to post pics of my current knives anywhere on this board after seeing some of y'all's firsts! Unfortunately I don't have pics of, or have any of the knives I first made. Later after scanning and if I can find them, I'll post my first successful knives I made.

I'm kind of embarrassed to post pics of my current knives anywhere on this board after seeing some of y'all's firsts! Unfortunately I don't have pics of, or have any of the knives I first made. Later after scanning and if I can find them, I'll post my first successful knives I made.

Can't see yours--I think your pictures might be set to Friends Only, or the link is bad--it just takes me to my Facebook home. Maybe try switching it to Everyone, or posting them on an image host like tinypic.com?

~Noah

Here is the first knife I started back in 1991. D2 with Wenge handle scales. Made with files, sandpaper and a hacksaw. It only took until 2007 to finish and people think my waiting list is long these days :D

16year.jpg

Here is my first slip joint as well. That was made in Jan '08. O1 blade, Nickle Silver liners and bolster and ivory paper micarta scales. It is a screw together construction slip joint. I have been thinking of doing some more the screw together ones again recently.

fopen.jpg

Alistair

FirstKnifesmall.jpg

Here is my very first (not counting a couple of kits I did). It was made from a Nicholson file. I annealed it, shaped and beveled it, then heat treated it myself. It was a lot of fun. Really is a great knife but it will rust if you say "water" anywhere near it.

Charlie

This is my first knife. A guy stole it and my rifle from my locked truck. They got the guy and I got my rifle back, but no knife. Dang!!

first-knife-web.jpg

Meant to add the story to existing post but made additional post.

Last edited:
http://
100_0075.jpg
[/IMG]

This was my first done about 9 months ago. Forged from a tiller tine with brass gaurd and white tail antler.

Bennie

This is my first knife. A guy stole it and my rifle from my locked truck. They got the guy and I got my rifle back, but no knife. Dang!!

View attachment 4776

Meant to add the story to existing post but made additional post.

My first knife was stolen too man, that sucks. I've been watching for it for 20 years, no luck. I hope you find yours some day.

This beauty (cough) is my first knife. I used nickel silver for the bolster and stainless for the pins. I have no idea what the steel is - probably ats-34. The sheath is stamped (stomped?) with something. It was wax/oil dip. I think I dyed it 4 or 5 times so get it as black as night. I pull this out every now and then and smile. :p

first-knife-pic.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I'd lost these pics but here's my first KSO. It's a small paring knife made from 1/8" O1 with handles of homemade felt micarta.

It really is a KSO due to getting a nice pretty deep blue torch temper LOL. My first and last attempt at torch tempering lol.

1stknife2.jpg

1stknife.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I bent the tang while drilling holes after tapering, LOL. The top Idler got real hungry when going back to clean up the tang after drilling. LOL live and learn. This very knife started my addiction though so I keep it around as a keepsake cuz it's otherwise useless :)
-Josh

Last edited:
Back