NWG Build

Fross

Thought I would share some pics of my grinder I just finished, I also made myself a multi use platen that incorporates a 2" and 8" contact wheel, and flat platen and a slack belt area. Its powered by a single phase 3hp motor and uses 4 step pulleys. I have a few things left to do like grind down the bolt heads on the platen attachment so that I can get full rotation of the attachment and I need to add a work rest and some vibration dampening. Here are some pics of it.

gr1.JPG

gr2.JPG

gr3.JPG

gr4.JPG

gr5.JPG

it lives!
great build. I like the work around on the motor shaft to get the 4 step running. Good solution.

Thanks guys, btw Tracey, thanks for the help with the order and everything, I have never had such a great experience with customer service.

Very nice build.I really like the platen.Would you mind showing a few pic from the side?I'd like a better look at that platen setup.
You mentioned a little vibration.This is just my opinion,but it may help to move your step pully a little closer in towards your bearings.
Good luck grinding.

God bless,Keith

Thanks for all the positive feedback, I got my basic adjustable work rest done today and wired up a few things in the shop(switches for the heat treat oven and welder), I went to take some more pictures and the camera was dead! I will get some pictures of the platen design with some measurements this week end so you guys can get a better idea. Also, I filled ALL the voids in the grinders structure(all the tube steel) with polystyrene foam board and then capped em off with great stuff spray insulation(everywhere I didnt need to have access to a bolt for maintenance), then I put the same 1.5" thick foam board insulation under my work bench using spray adhesive, then used some thick rubber under my motors mounting feet, this cut WAY down on the vibration. Then I noticed something BAD... one of my pillow blocks on the grinders primary shaft has a bad crack in it, must have happened during installation(I had to help the pillow blocks onto the shaft with a mallet... prob had something to do with it, lol, this is causing some vibration when I am running at the 2 higher speeds, I will be replacing that ASAP, Ill get those pics up by Sunday. Thanks again guys.

Frosty great looking project. Where did you get the belt drive pulley?

Fred, that looks good, you will really improve the looks when you cap all the pieces of tubeing. Let me know what all the insolation does.
I kept thinking that sure looked familiar, then today I was looking at old e-mails to delete and saw that we had talked quite a bit about it.

All the pulleys were bought from Tracey at usaknifemaker.com

Wayne, yeah I decided to jump in head first and just have a go at it, it was a good learning experience and Im glad I decided to go with the NWG design, I tried the grinder out a good bit with the insulation in place, it is a huge difference and was well worth the effort. I also managed to keep what I had talked to you about selling so I'm a happy guy.

Good lookin machine. Tracey did an awesome job designing it I gaurentee you're gonna love it.

Thanks again guys for the positive comments, here are those pictures I promised, sorry it took so long. Tracy, feel free to grab these photos and put em up on your site if you want or anyone else for that matter...

plt1.JPG

plt2.JPG

plt3.JPG

plt4.JPG

plt5.JPG

plt6.JPG

plt7.JPG

plt8.JPG

plt9.JPG

plt10.JPG

plt11.JPG

That looks great! Thanks for posting all the pics. I have a set of NWG plans and that rotating arm looks fantastic!

Well done!

I make the rotating arm out of a piece of 1/2" X 2" bar stock and taper/round over the end with with the 2" wheel down to about 1". I think that it is an easier way to do it and less material, unless you have the scrap lying around and the way to cut it to get that good looking profile. Yours sure looks neat.

I make the rotating arm out of a piece of 1/2" X 2" bar stock and taper/round over the end with with the 2" wheel down to about 1". I think that it is an easier way to do it and less material, unless you have the scrap lying around and the way to cut it to get that good looking profile. Yours sure looks neat.

Wayne, got a pic?????

I'll get one. Why worry, you will see the whole thing in a little over a month. I'm looking forward to it. BTW, are you and Stabber blown or washed away yet. Watching the news down here it looks like you may be "out to sea".

Back