Need to know

Jerry Bond

I need to know if anyone makes knives with a serrated edge,
and how do you grind them.
I have an order for 2 and the customer said if they work good for his task then he will want 38 more. So I HAVE to learn.
Thanks for all coments---Jerry

Jerry most people that do serrated edges make one or two knives at a time and use files to do the serrations.

Bob

Kit Carson does it on a surface grinder. You'd have to get with him for the details though, I would probably lead you astray since I havent tried it yet.

You need to do this before heat treat. I grind the bevels and then use a tapered round file to cut in the serrations. You can stagger the sizes of the teeth with different size files. I only cut them on one side, the right side with the point facing away from you. This way they cut like a chisel ground blade would.

For 38 blades, I would have GLWJ cut the profiles, including the serrations, and bevel them by hand. I think that would work for basic "round" serrations like a bread knife, don't know if it would be practical for the more complicated types.

Thanks guys for the comments-I didn't think about GLWJ
Robert, the first 2 will be hand filed.
Chuck, that is what I thought I would do but the sharp edge would be on the near side for a right handed man.
These knives will be used for quick and emergency cutting of 1 1/4 nylon rope. The tag line pulls this rope then this 1 1/4 rope pulls the 3" rope to tie off the ships.He said that sometimes the
1 1/4 rope gets hung under the big rope and has to be cut in a hurry. I have made 2 or 3 reg. knives for some of the crew But they think that the serrated edge would be a lot better.
Thanks Jerry

I would think that a serrated edge would snagg and clog up with the strands of the rope unless the serrations were very small and fine. It seems to me that a very thin , very sharp edge would work better.

Calvin, my thought too, so I'm thinking of serrated on one side and flat grind up to center on the other.That would give 2 options. this would be in 440-C or maybe 154-cm.
They are going to want the best price possible so maybe a cord wrap handle and kydex sheath.
Jerry

Calvin, my thought too, so I'm thinking of serrated on one side and flat grind up to center on the other.That would give 2 options. this would be in 440-C or maybe 154-cm.
They are going to want the best price possible so maybe a cord wrap handle and kydex sheath.
Jerry

In my opinion I think a 1/8" thick x 1 1/4" wide blade hollow ground to the spine would give an edge thin enough to do the job.

I have a fully serrated spyderco and it cuts through line like butter. A smooth edge will eventually roll and be dull. A serrated edge stays sharp longer like a hand saw.

C118SYL-2.jpg

I was thinking more about the knives I've seen them use in the cutting competitons, they cut 1 1/2" free hanging rope completly into with one pass and the rope barely moves. I dont think that would happen with a serrated edge but I could be wrong.

Are these guys going to be swinging knives to cut rope like in the cutting competitions. The rope used in cutting competitions is manila, I don't think that you can just cut through a piece of nylon rope the same way? Can you?

If these ropes are under tension then you don't want to be swinging a knife and just cutting through, either end could snap back at someone.

If they are going to use them in emergency situations then something serrated would be best. This way you could start cutting and eventually the line would part by itself.

Do some testing. Get some nylon rope and get out your kitchen knives. Try the chefs knife and then the serrated bread knife. See which one cuts better, faster and longer. You might also learn more about your own edge geometry and how you can improve it.

What about something like a dive knife where is is smooth edge on one side and serrated on the other side?

469-DEFAULT-m.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't thought about a chef's knife.I made me one a couple weeks ago and it cuts better than any knife that I have used.I can sharpen it up and see how it does. I have about 20' of that rope.
I was thinking more like a 9" dagger type blade, serrated on one side and flat grind on the other, 3/32 or maybe 1/8" 440-C.
The man said that the ship's wench is reeling the rope back and if it is hung up then there is just seconds to cut it free. He also said that once the rope was tight before he got to it and he just touched it with his knife and the rope broke. That was 1/2 second before his 300 lb. reel was ripped from the conc pier.

Back