Morland's KITH WIP

Dennis Morland

KNIFE MAKER
I have struggled a bit with deciding what to build. opaul set the guidelines and I will build within those parameters. BTW: opaul thank you for setting this up. I have enjoyed the previous KITH entries that I have made. Looking forward to this one also. I'm just a little bit lost on a direction to take. I am open for suggestions. Hint, hint...

Here are the guidelines.

1. Be Safe (Okay, understood)

2. No kit knives. (Okay, understood)

3. Post pictures of your WIP (I can do that.)

4. Make a knife that you would want to represent your signature style blade. (What is my signature style???? This is where I struggle. I make a lot of hunting style knives. I like different. I like one-offs and not making the same knife over and over. Full tang, hidden tang, bolsters, no bolsters, guards, no guards, etc., etc., etc. I use all kinds of handle materials, G10, brass, stainless, horn, antler, and all kinds of wood. I just need some inspiration and a little bit of direction.)

5. Folders, fixed blades, machetes, choppers, kitchen knives are fine! (Okay, understood)

6. If the knife you make would normally be associated with a sheath... (I can make a sheath, no problem.)

7. Have fun. (Okay, understood)

8. Remarks and comments about the knives WIP are mandatory. (Okay, understood)

9. Have your entries ready and ready to be shipped by NLT 12/01/18. (I can do that.)

There you have it. I saw where John Wilson ask for some help to decide. Brilliant Idea!!! Thanks John.

So, make a suggestion, Post a picture of a knife or two. Drop in a sketch, I have drawn up a few ideas, but, nothing that I like or just have to make. What are your thoughts, give me some direction. It is most certainly needed and appreciated. Thanks!

For me...any kitchen knife or edc. You make beautiful hunters that if scaled down a little bit would make amazing EDCs...specially if you made one of those nifty laced sheaths to go with it!!

Pretty sure whatever you come up with will be nice!

For me...any kitchen knife or edc. You make beautiful hunters that if scaled down a little bit would make amazing EDCs...specially if you made one of those nifty laced sheaths to go with it!!

How big are you talking? 6 inches overall, 6.5 inches, 7 inches???

I have struggled a bit with deciding what to build. opaul set the guidelines and I will build within those parameters. BTW: opaul thank you for setting this up. I have enjoyed the previous KITH entries that I have made. Looking forward to this one also. I'm just a little bit lost on a direction to take. I am open for suggestions. Hint, hint...

Here are the guidelines.

1. Be Safe (Okay, understood)

2. No kit knives. (Okay, understood)

3. Post pictures of your WIP (I can do that.)

4. Make a knife that you would want to represent your signature style blade. (What is my signature style???? This is where I struggle. I make a lot of hunting style knives. I like different. I like one-offs and not making the same knife over and over. Full tang, hidden tang, bolsters, no bolsters, guards, no guards, etc., etc., etc. I use all kinds of handle materials, G10, brass, stainless, horn, antler, and all kinds of wood. I just need some inspiration and a little bit of direction.)

5. Folders, fixed blades, machetes, choppers, kitchen knives are fine! (Okay, understood)

6. If the knife you make would normally be associated with a sheath... (I can make a sheath, no problem.)

7. Have fun. (Okay, understood)

8. Remarks and comments about the knives WIP are mandatory. (Okay, understood)

9. Have your entries ready and ready to be shipped by NLT 12/01/18. (I can do that.)

There you have it. I saw where John Wilson ask for some help to decide. Brilliant Idea!!! Thanks John.

So, make a suggestion, Post a picture of a knife or two. Drop in a sketch, I have drawn up a few ideas, but, nothing that I like or just have to make. What are your thoughts, give me some direction. It is most certainly needed and appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Dennis. You make many beautiful knives so your signature blade is a beautiful knife - whatever it is you decide to make.") Your styles are creative and different. So does that provide any guidance! :)

I think the "Signature Style" term is a carry over from the Forged in Fire TV series. I've seen you post a pretty wide variety of knives that all have the Morland look to them no matter what type of knife it was. A personal style is sometimes hard to put your finger on and define in clear terms, but when you see it you know it. I have no doubt that whatever you choose to make will have the Morland look and will make it's recipient very happy.

For me, I picked a style I am comfortable with, (hunter), and added design elements that would challenge me. I think that’s a good place to start. Your still learning a great deal from the project but not do overwhelmed that you have to phone it in, or drop out all together.

Have you ever tried a Loveless style knife? I've only recently delved into learning about some of the founders of the American knife industry. You put me on to Scagel a couple years ago, then I found Marble, Randal, Moran, etc. Right now the Loveless style has me intrigued. I'm considering trying one.

Dennis, I’m going to add to your frustration by saying “I like everything you make, and I honestly don’t care what you make. I want it!”

Seriously though, I love small-ish knives to carry. A kitchen knife or a hunter is a purpose built tool. They just are what they are because they have an intended task. But for my go-to I like an unobtrusive handy knife.

I hope others don’t feel obligated to make some big honking knife.

The top one and the third one down are hunter designs that would both be very usable on the larger deer species.

How big are you talking? 6 inches overall, 6.5 inches, 7 inches???
6.5......Goldilocks: "This one is just right...."

On your sketches, the second one down would make a great EDC (for me anyway). As a knife gets smaller I have discovered that the handle needs to get bigger (for my liking's anyway) so the scale down principle (ratios blade to handle) always needs a bit of tweaking from large to small. I would also soften that straight top line while extending the handle a bit...just my opinion...and since it's knifemaking anything goes. All of those blade designs are very appealing.

Here's a crude trace of your blade with a handle change.

DSC01592.JPG

Last edited:
Back