Mobile 1

Yes, I still am using it. Last I heard you were thinking you might have found something better than Mobile 1. Is this thread your way of announcing "Frank's next great handsanding lube?"

Kevin

Oil polishes,water cuts. I was told that by a very successful knife maker. I've never tried Mobil One it probably works better than what I use, Simpel Green, cut 4to1 with water but I bet it dosen't smell as good. I need to try some Mobil one one of these days.:steve:

Kevin, just for a short while I thought I had found a better fluid, but the difference it made was not much and the costs was way much.
Hi Calvin. You are doing some terrific folders ! I wish we could have a visit. I'm positive you would have all sorts of interesting approaches better than the ones I use.
Calvin, the Mobil 1 does for me work better than all these other fluids I have heard being used. It keeps the sanding dirt in supension allowing the sand paper to cut better and not become as clogged. Frank

Hey Frank,
If I remember correctly it's been what, a year and a half 2 years since you shared that tip? I am just about done with my first quart and went and bought another! Best tip I've ever used, it makes 50 grit look almost finished!!! Again I wil say THANK YOU for sharing, REX

Hmmm. I've been using tapping oil / cutting oil. I think I will try the Mobile 1 and see if there's a difference.

What are the properties of Mobile 1 that make it work better? Any ideas?

The only thing different about it is, it's a synthetic oil, our theory is that once you start sanding, it traps the grit that would normally fall off the blade, or collect at one end or the other. Which is why it is important to clean the oil off the blade when you change grits, if you go from say 180 to 220, it might still look OK, but the finish will have larger scratches with the smaller ones, which I think would not look good on close inspection.

Do keep in mind that it doesn't take a lot, I have a real small plastic cup that I fill about an 1/8th inch from the bottom, I use one of those small 1" sponge paint brushes to apply it , the sponge collects it and holds it, that way there isn't enough to spill when you knock it over. My first quart lasted a year, and I wasted a lot, either by using too much when I first started using it, or by spilling it, a very cheap highly effective method for getting a fine finish! I have thanked Frank for sharing that tip many times, and I still feel like I haven't shown enough gratitude, it saves so much time and gives such a wonderful finish!

I think the sandpaper matters a lot too, crappy paper will only make you use a lot of it, and work twice as hard. If you've never used Rhinowet Redline, it is awesome, I'm very frugal with it, you don't want to continue using the same grit it if it isn't cutting, like all sandpaper, I cut mine into 1 1/2 to 2" strips and wrap it around a bar of steel I attached a 9oz strip of leather, I used 2 sided tape, it's easy to remove and clean up and has lasted over a year, the bar is about 2 feet long, it helps a lot, and gives you some leverage on the paper. I got that tip from Stephen Fowler, ya got to be careful with your grindlines doing it this way, it will wash them out in a heartbeat, when you need a hardback I just flip it over and use the bare steel side. Rex

Hi Rex, where do you buy your Rhinowet Redline?

I googled it but it looks like its a specialty market and not widely available, unless I'm mistaken.

Also. are there other brands that will work if the Rhinowet Redline is not available here?

I'm assuming that a wedt/dry type of sand paper is the only kind that it can be used with, correct

I know knifemakers can be a fickle lot when it comes to certin things, but I tried Mobile 1 some time ago when I saw Frank reccomend it. I have seen a marked improvement in cut and finish when hand sanding. I recently finished a pair of kitchen knives for my Daughter for Christmas. Whne working a 2 1/4" wide blade, it makes a HUGE diffrence. I use Klingspore paper and 3M in 600 grit and above. I think the paper is called "Black Ice" but is made by 3M. It may just be me, but Im sold on using Mobile 1!

God Bless
Mike

Mobile 1 is good, but I like something else better!

Prior to trying Mobile 1, I tried some cutting fluid I had by my drill press. It's the Kobalt Cutting fluid from Lowes. I had really good results from it but there was so much good press about the Mobile 1 that I bought a quart to try. The Mobile 1 (I think it's 10W30) is a bit thicker than the Kobalt stuff and it feels gummy. The cutting fluid is thinner and moves with the paper easier. Plus it's non-petroleum based, and it cleans up easy with soap and water.

When (if) I ever run out of my Mobile 1, I'll probably go back to the cutting fluid. I'd like to know what oil is actually in the Kobalt fluid.

Rex, has about said it all. It allows the cuttings to float and stay out of the way.
Calvin. I am going to try the windex again. I'm now into a lot of blade finishing and this should give me a better idea if I should be using it at least to start. Frank

I have some 30wt Red Line synthetic racing oil left over from my drag racing days, I'll I've it a try tomorrow and see if it works better than my Simpel Green.

Hi Rex, where do you buy your Rhinowet Redline?

I googled it but it looks like its a specialty market and not widely available, unless I'm mistaken.

zbq,
I can't remember if it was truegrit or supergrit, both of those are .com(s), thing is it last so long, I still have some left from my original order in the higher grits, it's not offered or they didn't have it in the lower grits, so I got the AO paper, can't remember which kind it was, but it is good stuff and still better than any at Wal Mart. Once you try it no other paper will seem like it's cutting! Rex

Supergrit sells the Rynowet and they talk very nice to you like even if you don't buy today, maybe you will come back tomorrow. Frank

Thanks Rex and Frank.
I've ordered some belts from Supergrit a while back and liked the customers service, so
I'll give some of these a try.

This was is a great tip that was shared with us. Thanks again! I was recently sanding a blade for a friend and found another great fluid to use, CLP (cleaning lubricating protectant, we use this on all of our fire arms in the military). It's not as economical as Mobil 1, but it is what I had handy at the time (I seem to have alot of little bittles of this stuff lying around fir some reason).

Back