Metal Texturing and Finishes... Need some help

Hankins

Ok one of these years I will get of my Duff and take a Jewelry making or Metal Crafts course at the local Comm College... Till then need your help.

Could use some direction for a good Arts Crafts site for techniques of Texturing Finishing metals...
There are many Artists here who make knives but also Knifemakers like me who struggle past the profile stage could use a little help :biggrin:

Don't know a site for texturing metals. I do know of a DVD though. Go to http://centercross.com/cciv/videos.htm and down to "Sculpting With David Broadwell". Yeah, that's me. I discuss texturing in the video.

I generally use a variety of burrs, mostly carbide but sometimes diamond, to cut textures into metals (and other materials like wood, ivory, and jade) with a couple of different rotary tools.

I have also created tools from O-1 steel with different textures and/or shapes on the ends, heat treated the ends, then hammered them into the surface of the metal. My first experience with this type of punched texture was on a medium sized fighter on which I used a center punch to texture the background. After about 2500 hits I was tired of it!

Hope this helps.

David

Thanks, Sean. Yep, I have a video. Don't have any on hand so I just send people to Center Cross. I still get my royalty.

I've attached some pictures of cut textures
1. This little stag hunter has texture on the tang around the scales. The steel is 154cm, and I cut the texture after heat treat with a diamond burr, then burnished it with a small wire wheel.
2. I cut the ricasso on this W2 blade after HT. I masked it off when I etched the blade, then removed the resist and gave it a light etching to color the textures. Again, I used the little wire wheel.
3. This shows a damascus blade that was carved and textured before heat treat. It's darker. On the damascus guard I only etched the one area, then textured the upper part. It's not heat treated.

David

Attachments

• SculptHuntNewClose.jpg
    SculptHuntNewClose.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Fighter-Hamon1A.jpg
    Fighter-Hamon1A.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 56
  • HuntInteg3.jpg
    HuntInteg3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 53
Looks outstanding David, thanks for the insight. Im going to pick up your video. Ive been wanting to try my hand at carving/texturing on some integral slipjoints.

Sean

I use a more "high tech" way of texturing and design. I mostley do mine on the waterjet and some by hand with various tools.
pics 014.jpgpics 016.jpgpics 014.jpgpics 017.jpgpics 020.jpgpics 014.jpgpics 009.jpg

David, that's some really nice work there. :3:

Some other good lookin' stuff in this Thread, too.:35:

Back